Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Xp =d

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Aberfocation

Aberfocation

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hello Guys and Gals Out there..

Wanted to start something that i think is beneficial for all.

I jus got a new custom made comp that come with WindowXP SP2

And i would like to heard from you guys wad are the programs and application that you guys will install into your computer.

Something that is a must when you reformat your comp or get a new one. =D

Something beneficial for all =D Cheers

=D Lets share =D :thumbsup:

Edited by Aberfocation, 03 January 2007 - 05:44 AM.

Computer Nubie =X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

I think CCleaner is a must.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 CookJate

CookJate

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

Of course all of the free virus programs that are out there. i.e Spybot S&D, ad-aware, AV... the works.

And also Mozilla Firefox... all computers are complete with that browser. :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

I install the following on my systems:

AVG Free
Sygate Personal Firewall (last freeware version)
MailWasher Pro
HotPopper (last freeware version)
YPops
Firefox
Thunderbird
all the latest Windows Updates and driver updates

Then I point all profiles and data stores (to include My Documents) to another drive.

Then I image the drive and everything is there if I need to restore the image.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hi USASMA,

Are the apps that you listed free..ie those such as mailwasherPro et.al?? and also how do you go about pointing profiles and data stores to another drive..and lastly...what is the best way to create an image of the said drive..thanks..

Darren

#6 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

To go about pointing profiles and data stores to another drive, you right click on my documents, select properties, click move and select a destination that should be in another drive.
This is fine if you have partitioned your hard disk or have two or more hard disks in your PC.
Thanks and you have a wonderful 2007. :thumbsup:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

AVG is free, has a year timelimit I think on it, And then it runs out, which reminds me I think mine is about to run out :X

Mailwasher pro is NOT free, it has a trial versiopn but that's about it, There is a free version of it available that is not called pro (obviously)

sygate is free, but also has a paid for VErsion that has some extra features you miss

I would even toss in Spyware blaster into the mix as a great additive to all this

#8 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

Tweak UI- if only for the hover focus
Zone Alarm firewall
A-Squared Anti-Malware. Free version is scan only but very powerful.
SpywareGuard-free fulltime client
SpywareBlaster
Spybot
Adaware
WinPatrol
Sysinternals Process Explorer-Taskmanager grows up
VideoLan Media Player (VLC) Free and flexible- intuitive interface
DeepBurner
Unlocker
Killbox
MoveOnBoot
Belarc Advisor
Everest home
Hard Drive Health
CPUZ
Faststone Capture-screenshots and sections made easy (printing too)
Sandboxie
Dimension 4-atomic clock synchronizer
A good antivirus (I'll leave the debate to others)
And, of course,
OPERA 9!
All free save A2 anti-malware, and that has a free scan only version.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

Of the list that I wrote (I apologize for not mentioning the free stuff) - the only payware is MailWasherPro (but they do have a limited freeware version). FWIW - I'm now using PopPeeper (free) in place of my paid Mailwasher Pro and it seems much better to me.

AVG Free is free forever - if you get AVG Pro, then it will revert if you don't pay them.

The Sygate firewall and the Hotmail Popper are now pay for items - but the last freeware versions are still available on the web.

Pointing the profiles is different for each program. If you decide to do this, we'll be able to help you point each program to another drive. After doing it a couple of times it'll become easy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hmmm nice...But the CCleaner cleans up registry..is it safe to use? is it recommanded?

And i would like to thank you all =D Keep it going guys share with all =D

Edited by Aberfocation, 05 January 2007 - 09:39 AM.

Computer Nubie =X

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

I've used the registry cleaner function of CCleaner loads of times with no problems. But if you don't trust it to clean your registry you can still use the other functions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

The standard CCleaner tool (the cleaner itself, not the registry cleaner) is absolutely the best I've ever used. I urge caution with the other tools because they are so powerful that you can hose your system (yes, this is from personal experience :thumbsup: )

Also, the overuse of registry cleaners is a common source of errors on systems - so that I don't recommend using them for maintenance more than once every 3 or 4 months or so. The safest registry cleaner (IMO) is the one at http://safety.live.com/ - but the once every 3 or 4 months suggestion holds there also.

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

If I may step in at this point.....

I used the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner utility at http://safety.live.com/ once and was pleased with it.
Do you have to download it each time you use it, like most On Line Scanners?

It still exists on my C-drive.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:16 AM

so the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner utility needs to be installed?hmmm...after u install do you need to reinstall the next time you scan like after 4-5 mths later?hmmmmmm...
Computer Nubie =X

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

In order to use an on-line scanner, you must connect to the site with the browser, in most cases IE. While you might not need to install the file each time, it will update each time. You cannot install the on-line scanner file and then scan the computer with that file in future sessions without connecting to the site. It is not a complete off-line program.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users