Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Psu Installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Okay I never thought I'd need so much computer help in my life but I'm going through an upgrade right now so please bear with me!

I just bought a new power supply for my Dell Dimension 8200 -- I didn't feel like ghetto rigging my system so I shelled out the extra bucks for a PC Power and Cooling Dell-2 410 W PSU. I went ahead and removed my old PSU and tried to install the new one. When I plugged my computer in and pressed the ON button, absolutely nothing happened.

This power supply is made specifically for Dell Dimensions, so I'm kind of annoyed that I'm having issues. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I plugged it in exactly the way the previous power supply was hooked up. One thing I noticed though is that the manual tells you to plug the connectors in backwards from the way the old PSU was plugged into the motherboard. I thought it made more sense to plug it in the way the original was.... Also, the locks on the connectors force you to install it that way.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the drives aren't all hooked up properly? It was fairly difficult to get the connectors in...

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

Not to be insulting, but, is the power turned on to the PSU? I forgot that once, luckily I found it before I took the PSU back. Also, what about the cord? Inside the end that connects to the PSU the metal contacts are spring loaded, sort of, and if one is bad you get no power. Can you plug in the way they say too? I don't know what would happen if you did and turned it on, I'm just curious. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Harry83

Harry83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

Well I took out the new PSU and put my old one back in and I'm currently using the new power cord with my old PSU as we speak...so the problem is not the power cord. Also, my comp isn't screwed up because it's working fine with the old PSU.

Furthermore, there is no power switch on this particular PSU. The manual says the on-off function is controlled by the motherboard connector in pins 13 and 14.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S41D2

I'll probably just call PC Power and Cooling in the morning.
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#4 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

Well I took out the new PSU and put my old one back in and I'm currently using the new power cord with my old PSU as we speak...so the problem is not the power cord. Also, my comp isn't screwed up because it's working fine with the old PSU.

Furthermore, there is no power switch on this particular PSU. The manual says the on-off function is controlled by the motherboard connector in pins 13 and 14.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S41D2

I'll probably just call PC Power and Cooling in the morning.

Hey there, I experienced something similiar in the past before. First of all you need to make sure that the PSU is right for the CPU and the motherboard, so make sure that the motherboard has the same amount of connectors that the PSU supports, then make sure that you have the same amount of connectors for the PSU to the CPU's power (you'll only encounter a problem like this if you use dual-core really). If all of those things are fine then I'm stumped.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

FWIW - PC Power and Cooling makes the best PSU's that I've found. I'd suggest a call to them since it appears that you can't plug it in the way that they want you to. Could be a design change that their documentation has caught up with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Harry83

Harry83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Well guys I figured it out... It's ironic I didn't make this mistake when I hooked my old PSU back in...I tried the installation again and realized I had plugged the mini dongle, to the floppy, in backwards and this prevented my PSU from powering up!

LOL lesson learned -- no more upgrade attempts at 4am.
--
Harry83
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users