Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Windows Components.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CookJate

CookJate

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

I'm in a real mess.

A couple months ago, I downloaded MSN explorer with my MSN messenger. Now, I recently decided that had no further use for MSN explorer and wanted to delete it, but I couldn't find it in the Add/Remove programs listing. So I went to google to try and solve this problem. The webpage I went to instructed me to go to Add/Remove Windows components, and I saw MSN explorer in the listing. I checked the box to delete it and of course this required a restart. When I logged back into my computer, I was baffled to find that not only was MSN explorer still in the listing, but a lot of my programs that came with the computer had been deleted.

A listing of the programs I now know have been deleted are:

-Paint
-Character Map
-It seems I cannot find the Volume button in my icon tray on my taskbar.
-All of the games in the all programs button.
and there are probably more.

I also notice that whenever I start up IE 6, that it tries to connect to http://xtoff, but later cannot find the server. Although IE 6 works fine despite that problem.

I am wondering if anyone would know what I could do to get all of these programs back and get my IE 6 to work normally again.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:49 AM

Well, let's start with something simple, for your IE 6 problem, right click on the Internet Explorer icon and click properties. In the properties dialog, you'll see a field called target which contains the path to the program and will look something like this...

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

To fix Internet explorer, all you have to do is delete the "-extoff" option at the end of the path.

I'm having a hard time believing that all your programs were deleted so just to be sure, I want you to do the following...

Click Start
Click Run
and type mspaint in the text box and see if Paint loads.

If it loads then it means your programs weren't uninstalled and somehow the shortcuts to all your games on your Start menu got deleted. Also, if you have icons for any of your games on your desktop that aren't showing up on your Start menu anymore, try to start the game by clicking on the icon on your desktop to see if your game was really uninstalled.

#3 CookJate

CookJate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the Internet explorer help, that is now working properly now.

As for your mspaint tip, when I ran it, it couldn't find anything. I had already searched for paint a while ago using the Start -> search, and mspaint did appear and when I tried to open it, the program always went nonresponsive.

I have also found that all my of cursors are gone... and that I only have the default white cursor. I am thinking I may just have to call customer support and get a disk to retrive all of these programs, as I cannot simply download it off the internet, as I know no sites to.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

If you have the XP cd do the following :

START RUN type sfc /scannow this will repair any errors in your operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users