Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

We added a Sony DVD R/RW to our Dell Desktop Dimension 4550 last year.

It worked great; however, now the light comes on when you insert a disk but then it stops, and the computer won't recognize anything we put in the drive.

Properties shows no signs of trouble and the Troubleshoot button won't "recognize" either.

Anybody know what is going on? Any help to get our new DVD working again would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xxx1

xxx1

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:45 AM

hi,

have you tried any firmware updates, or uninstall - re-installing.

cheers...xxx1

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:07 AM

When you look in Device Manager, under System Properties, does the computer recognize it? Is there any symbol next to it? If so, like a yield sign, uninstall the drive and reboot. Windows should recognize it then.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

A number of ideas pop into my head when thinking about this..

Is everything input right? Bsaically is all the wires where they should be and put in fully

Maybe something got knocked out with time,

Secondly, Have you had any issues before this with the dvd drive malfunctioning?

I almost want to say this might be caused by the laser either being dirty or faulty, however, that's not to say for sure at this point
Maybe try a cleaning disc for your laser and see what happens then?

Also was there anything you had to install relating to drivers with this?, I know normally you dont' have to but, never know...

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:10 AM

Hi, Thanks for responding.

Here's what I can tell you. I did update the firmware (Sony DVD R/RW DRU-810A), and maybe because it's so late and I'm having a brainfade, but if I choose the uninstall option for the DVD player, how will I re-install it?

I can only find one CD that came w/the DVD writer, and it was the NERO suite. I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but maybe I'm just brain dead tonight. I can't remember how to REINSTALL the DVD once I choose uninstall.

I'm afraid to choose uninstall because I'm afraid I won't remember how to INSTALL it! LOL....

Do you have any idea why it would suddenly stop working and the PC would suddenly stop recognizing any disk in the the tray?

The drive is still showing up on the Device Mgr. What do you think? I even went through the whole troubleshoot bit, and still no good options....

Thanks! De

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

Windows will reinstall it by itself, but if there are no signs there you might not need to.

If it's not the driver or reinstalling it, maybe it went bad, it does happen. Have you tried to do a system restore to when it was working? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:21 AM

Get some sleep? Might help this problem further if you sleep on it and wake up with a full brain :thumbsup:

If you uninstall the drive, as you put it windows will automatically recognize it, however, I doubt this is the issue

I think your drive might've just taken a plunge off the deep end.. Maybe, Not too sure about this

How's your computer knowledge? Do you trust yourself enough to do a manual reinstall of the drive by disconnecting the cords etc?, If so I might try this option next, And maybe switch the IDE cable to the other slot IF and only IF YOU can, don't be swapping cords or anything

pretty much if you know enough Id detach the DVD drive, Start up your computer, Shut it down, And hten reinstall the drive and start it back up again, See if this helps,

I used to have a wonderful CD drive on my first machine, you'll never guess how that went for me.... it ended up when I inserted a disc, it would just spin really fast and not read crap..that drive..is now in the trash, Lonnnng time coming :flowers:

If you can take away any software related issues, And take away the fact tis not a motherboard connection problem, then you're left with a couple optoins, dirty lens, Or broken lens.. ANd Im hoping for your sake its not the last one :trumpet:

#8 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:39 AM

Okay, since it's now 3:30 a.m., here's what I'm going to do:

A. I consider myself very computer saavy...I've taken this thing apart several times and put it back together, so I was already thinking about wires coming loose and checking those and yes--the dreaded disconnecting it an re-connecting it theory...UGH!

B. I've gone to Sony's website and updated the driver, and I've put in two different CDs--one is a software program and the other is a game...still just light on, spinning, and dud--nothing.

C. Since you all have "re-freshed" my brain-dead self, I think I will uninstall and reboot just to see what will happen....that will be the last EASY solution.

Sad thing is--as we all know...I bought this drive to make home movies, DVDs, etc., and I don't think I've ever actually had the TIME to make one! Took out my Dell CD and replaced it w/this new one. The DVD player that came w/the Dell is still going strong, but this new Sony...well, you know the story....

Thanks for the advice...I guess I will try all the "harder" solutions sometime later in the day...and BTW...there isn't any kind of sign in the Device Mgr. (i.e., Yield Sign, etc.). The PC is recognizing the drive, but its just not recognizing any disks in the tray....go figure...

If you guys have any more ideas, please shoot them my way! Thanks guys! Deb

#9 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

Okay, you brain-iacs...let me ask you this...

I did the uninstall and re-install and after reading through the manual...a thought occured to me....so I tried it.

I put in a DVD...

Guess what happened? It worked! Is it possible that a DVD R/RW drive will not read CDs? The two CDs I tried were an old version of Printmaster and a PC game from 2003....Both will play on the Dell regular DVD (not a burner) that came w/the PC.

This new drive is SUPPOSED to play all CDs, along w/DVDs, etc. But, do you all think it is possible that it won't play older CDs?

Thanks in advance, Deb

#10 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

You could've mentioned you were attempting CD's BEfore GEEZ ;p
YEa its possible, But are either of those burned? maybe its that

DVD drives are supposed to read CD's on top of dvd's, Maybe both the ones you were attempting were just worn out or something

#11 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Good grief man!

I thought I DID mention CDs! Heck, did I mention I was brain-dead just a few hours ago? :thumbsup:

The CDs aren't worn out; they play fine in the regular DVD player that came w/my Dell PC, but I'm just wondering why they won't play in a DVD R/RW. Here I thought my player was on the fritz, and I THINK I played EVERYTHING in it before, which is the really confusing part.

The DVD R/RW manual has a long list of everything that will work in the drive, and they list CDs so the mystery continues.

The CDs aren't burned either. One is Printmaster, and one is Nascar Thunder 2003 (no redneck jokes please!), so they should both be COMPACT DISCS, right?

If I am missing something here, somebody please clue me in! Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions so far!

Deb

#12 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

Odd that it wouldn't play those and yet, it says it can, hmmm.. are those the only 2 cd's you have tried, Or have you tried multiple ones?

If its reading DVD's and not ANY CD, then it might be an issue with the CD laser,. As there are two different ones at work inside there

If its only those 2 cd's that it won't read, well, then you got me , because that's just plain odd

PS. I had a really good joke lined up, But... I figured it wouldn't be in my best interests to post it :thumbsup:

#13 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

Just saw your reply and wondering what your joke might have been! :flowers:

I am going to try a few other CDs, but I've got a feeling no CDs will work in there.

..and color me stupid, but I had no idea there were two lasers in there! I thought there was just one that read all the discs!

...and here I was saying I was pretty computer saavy! :trumpet:

I'll have to try it and get back to you! Thanks for the help (joke or no joke)! :thumbsup:

#14 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

Well

lets just say it had to do with calling you billybob, And well, I never quite got past that, But had I , I think I would've been kicked in the junk a few times for it :thumbsup:

And yes, there are 2 lasers, For the fact that DVD's and CD's require two different temperatures and configurations to make :flowers: that's why the DVD is a lot larger in capacity, it's encoded with a different light mixture :trumpet:

Let me know once you test it all out :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users