Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pearlie

Pearlie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

:thumbsup: Hi everyone, I have a friend that asked me to look at her computer to see if I can determine why it is so slow lately. She has an HP 320C 2.8 pentium 4, 80g hd, 512 ram. Windows XP Home, Norton Internet Security. I deleted all her temp files and cookies, defragged the hd, ran virus scan, ran spybot search and destroy, adaware se. She has System Mechanic so I ran total care on it. She don't have any lare files of pictures or music. I just can't come up with another thing to try. Could it be the NIS making her pc sluggish?

Thanks for any help and have a wonderful 2007!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

Norton itself slows down computers more than anything else. It would help to remove it and replace it with AVG, Avast or other programs.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Otherwise you can do these.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

#3 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

Why does anyone spend their hard earned dollars on Norton and other programs like it when there are such good applications availabe for free, that dont hog resources?
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#4 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:02 AM

Open up the Task Manager on your friend's computer by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete. In the bottom, left hand corner of the Task Manager it will say how many processes are running in the background. There should be no more than 30 or 40 processes running, but if there are more than 40 than you should download this tool so you can prevent some of them from starting when the computer starts.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Use this tool to disable a bunch of unnecessary startup programs, then restart the computer, and see if that helps. If you have more than 40 processes running in the background your machine can get kinda sluggish.

Edited by _Peter_, 03 January 2007 - 02:09 AM.

#5 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:02 AM

Yeah, that does sound like there's probably too many programs running.
If you dont want to download anything just go to Start then Run and type in msconfig
Select the Startup tab and untick programs you dont need but just be careful what you remove!

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

Why does anyone spend their hard earned dollars on Norton and other programs like it when there are such good applications availabe for free, that dont hog resources?

Norton 2007 does not slow computers down like it's predecessors. Not to mention the free programs don't have the same technical/customer support Symantec does....
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:30 AM

512 mB of RAM isn't much for a "mature" installation of XP (one that's been running for a while). So much "junk" gets loaded that it slows the system down.

Keeping it trim is a lot of work, and an additiona 512 mB of RAM will cut down on the housekeeping needed to keep it trim. It's worth the extra cost!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Pearlie

Pearlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks to all of you who sent me ideas. I will suggest mor memory and also I will download the Startup Manager. I have everything possible disabled with msconfig. Again thanks everyone! Pearliev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users