Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

what is the linux that resembles macs
and where do i get it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You can customize your desktop in almost any distro to look and feel like a mac.
Now, I do know a lot of Mac users who like BSD as well. But it isn't a Linux.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

dreamlinux looks like mac. it uses xfce desktop environment so maybe any distro with the xfce can be made to look like mac, i don't know for sure. the toolbar across the bottom is called "engage". it acts like the mac toolbar. the toolbar on top is just a typical linux panel. the combination looks like mac. it even uses the same color theme but the buttons are on the right, loooooool. i'm running the latest dreamlinux live cd. lots of cool applications. had to open the gimp to get a screenshot. i got streamtuner blasting on desktop 2. firefox 1.5.0.7 is on desktop 1.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03957#0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 07 January 2007 - 01:32 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

That's neat cybor, I hadn't seen that distro before.

There's also the Compiz and Beryl packages which will give the Linux desktop full graphic acceleration like OSX has. That will give you features very similar to exposť, as well as a 3D desktop cube to span the 4 virtual desktops. You'll likely have to install the proper 3D graphics driver for your video card first, of course.
Posted Image

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Those screenshots look pretty sweet. Just curious, but why would you want linux to look like Mac OSX, toshibauser?
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

I've asked the very same question a million times. Most just answer because they like it. When I suggest they use thier imagination and create thier own Desktop, they say they are comfortable with what they know.

To each his own. All you have to do (it really doesn't matter which destop or file manager you choose) is fiddle with the settings, colors and icons until you get exactly what you want. Then there's decisions like applets, launchers, interactive backgrounds....it's endless possibility really.

Edited by Joedude, 08 January 2007 - 10:53 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#7 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Doing all that playing around is one of the best things about linux, it will do what you want, look how you want, and that's what an OS should be about.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#8 tacm

tacm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:53 AM

I keep a very clean simple gnome desktop.Posted Image
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, Is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users