Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Runs On Startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yerout

yerout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for reading this post, Every time I boot the computer the Windows Installer will try to install, I get the following message, " Please wait while windows configures TrayApp " but there is no cd or dvd in any of the drives, it takes forever clicking the x box to stop it, any idea's ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

After Googling your problem I found this thread: (read it in it's entirity and see if it sheds any light on your issue)

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic26151.html
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ihateearthlink

ihateearthlink

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:56 PM

Did you solve your problem? I have a similar one. Every time I open either an Internet Explorer window or a Windows Explorer window, Windows Installer tries to install Earthlink Accelerator. This started happening after I uninstalled Earthlink. But I couldn't load any page content when I connected to the internet with my new ISP, so I used System Restore to undo the uninstall. I don't know what to do now.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:10 AM

I'm just guessing here, but could this be a problem with .NET v1.1? If so, try upgrading to .NET v2 and see if this fixes it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

Might try this (Windows Installer Cleanup Utility): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ihateearthlink

ihateearthlink

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

Thank you very much. I downloaded and installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from your link and removed all the Earthlink programs from the list and voila! Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows open like they're supposed to.

I don't know what the .NET program is, but I do have version 1.1.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

Here's my reasoning for suggesting .NET v2:

I have read references to a "glitch" in .NET v1.1 that would cause similar behavior. Also, I've experienced problems with the .NET v1.1 myself. When I installed the .NET v2 software my problems were fixed.

You can get the v2 in Windows Update by clicking on the Optional Updates.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

I have not upgraded to NET version 2 and have had absolutely no problems. It is my understanding that this is needed only if you are developing software or if a program you want to run has been created using it. Please read this post (#7) with Hitsquad's explanation of what the NET framework is. You might want to read the entire thread as well. There's lots of info. there in the various links.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=337505

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

My suggestion to upgrade to .NET v2 was due to my personal experience with it and it's success at solving similar (but not identical) problems. I am familiar with Hitsquad's explanation and have read the entire post.

- John
Microsoft MVP Windows - Networking

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

I am familiar with Hitsquad's explanation and have read the entire post.

The ambiguity of the English 'you' strikes again. I know you know what the net framework does and is usama. After all, you were one of the respondents in that thread :flowers: . My previous wasn't directed toward you but rather to those who, like me a few months ago, have no clue or have limited information about what the net framework is. I always feel more information is better :trumpet: as this leads to better understanding and decisions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users