Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Old Protectoin?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

I got PC-cillin Antivirus 11, should I uninstall my old avast software? My old avast software is free and I am guesing is like a free version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

If you want to keep your old avast, you can. You can run it manually for secondary scans. It could pick up something your other one didn't. But you should not have 2 antivirus programs running at the same time. In other words, one of them should not be permitted to run at startup; and then disable your primary antivirus if/when you want to do a second scan manually.

#3 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

if i may ask, why? While posting this topic, afterwords i went to a lyrics site and a virus protection message from the free avast program poped up and nothing that i know of happened with my new $40.00 PC-cilin Antivirus 11. so should i not keep both open?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Having two anti-virus programs actually make you more vulnerable as they can frequently conflict trying to access the same files at the same time. While the two programs are fighting each other, something else can slip right past the protections. The two programs will identify the other's quarantined files as infections and constantly swap quarantine files. It may lead to system tie-ups and strange behaviour. Even with one AV unactive and used as an on-demand scanner, the active one may interfere with the inactive one identifying its definition files as viruses.

This is one reason why there are on-line AV scanners. These are there for the occasional 2nd opinion. When using these, you temporarily suspend your active AV protection, and reactivate when the on-line scanning is done.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ok I understand now, but one thing I dont understand is how come the free virus protection program caught a virus but my expensive protection did not?
also avast is not located in msconfig on startup, how do I block it from starting up?

Edited by tiverty, 03 January 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

Short, non-tech answer: Each program is built differently and can look for different things in different ways. I don't think there is one single program that will find absolutely everything.

Look in your settings for avast and see if there is a way to stop it from running there. It might also be listed in Windows Services.

Edited by mommabear, 04 January 2007 - 08:25 AM.

#7 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

I can find no way to not let it start up durring start up of my computer...

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Info on shutting down Avast:
http://www.netfaqs.com/windows/AntiVirus/a...email/index.asp
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hmm. Interesting. What is described there doesn't match what happens on my system.

So, here's another possible plan of action.

Right click on the system tray icon

Click on On Access Protection Control.

For each active shield - there are a possible total of 7 - click on the terminate button. Okay your way through any confirmation boxes you get.

Right click on the icon again, and this time click on Program Settings. If the Common window isn't showing, click on common at the top left. Remove, by clicking on it, the green check by Test memory during application start-up.

I am not certain if these steps will keep the program from loading up at windows start-up, but this will at least stop the real-time protection.

Your best bet, though, is to uninstall one of the two Anti-Virus programs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

The directions in the link above is for Avast 4.6. The latest is Avast 4.7something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To disable avast! Antivirus, click the Terminate button.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see this window select "Yes" to prevent starting at startup of your computer.
The avast!: Persist the changes? window appears.

This window asks if you'd like to save the changes even after Windows is restarted.

Unless you do not want avast! running again, click the No button. This way if you forget to re-enable avast! manually, avast! will re-enable itself when you restart Windows.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

thank you buddy215, with your help i got it so it does not start up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users