Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp3 Player Does Not Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donq

donq

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Just recently received a Samsung Digital Audio Player model K5J ZB and have had no success in completely installing the actual player. Following the instructions I have run the installation Cd and the Samsung Media Studio is installed to the desktop successfully but with the next stage of connecting the player via usb lead to the pc the installation does not complete and the pc does not register that the player is attached! On a number of occasions when I have tried the installation during the process the following message is displayed...

Locked File Detected
An option you selected requires that files be installed to or from your system, or both. A locked file C:\Windows\system32\unicows.dll was found while performing the needed file operation. To leave this file as it is on your system, click the Ignor button; to retry the file operation, click Retry, or to perform the operation when your system is rebooted, click Reboot.

No matter which option I choose the eventual result is that the Samsung Media Studio is displayed on the Desktop and is operational in every way except in relation to the "portable" device (ie. the player)

Surprisingly, this message is not displayed every time I attempt the installation but the end result is the same - no player connected!

I have run a full registry clean (Registry Mechanic) and I have also run a search for the unicows file - both unsuccessful.

I have also installed the software and player on a friend's PC (using the same USB lead and everything worked perfectly so the problem is obviosly with my pc!

My pc is a Dell Dimension 2350 operating Windows XP and I have no difficulty with any other pro :thumbsup: gramme installations.

I am now totally frustrated and close to collapse!!! I hope someone out there can help me!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 January 2007 - 03:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Welcome Dong to BC. Can understand your frustration.

Try the following :

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

a) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
:thumbsup: Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

After that download [urt=http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?unicows]Unicows[/url] here and replace that locked file. reboot and try again

#3 donq

donq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi Fozzie,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm afraid I'm probably being a bit dim - I have followed your instructions re downloading Ccleaner etc and starting up in safe mode but I'm not sure what you mean by doing two runs. Consequently I do not get to the "Click on problems " stage. Can you possibly explain this in more detail (idiots guide!).

Thanks again.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

After you have installed and updated Ccleaner, and you have ticked the "backup registry "button first you click on cleaner and than on analyse. The progran will run and at the end you are pronpted for whether you want to cleanup which you should.

Second run is under problems tick all the registry related itemsand than click on " scan for errors bottom left "
At the end you will be prompted for store a backup which you should do and than "repair all errors "

The other thing is wat you could try is to test your USB ports, can you tr to connect another thing to your usb to see whether that is working?

#5 donq

donq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

Sorry to be a nuisance but...

I have followed your instructions right up to downloading the unicows file but when clicking on the open button I am faced with the following message:

You are attempting to open a file of type "Application Extension" (.DLL)

After again clicking open the message is:

Windows cannot open this file - To open Windows needs to know what programme created it

Use the web service to find appropriate programme or,
Select programme from a list

No matter which selection I make I am unable to make any progress - How do I get this file to install?

Incidentally, I had tried other equipment on the usb ports and these worked fine and I had successfully installed the player on a friend's pc using the same usb lead.

Hope you can help further!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

You don't want to "Open" the file, you want to "Save File As..." and save it to your desktop. Then you'll use it to replace the file that you're trying to remove.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 donq

donq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Thanks John.

I had tried the "save file as" to desktop initially but how do I replace the file I am trying to remove with it? I thought I would have to install but didn't know how to do this! Hope you can help because I am gettoing nowhere. (This is all new territory to me!)

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

Generally with .dll's you'll have to replace the .dll itself with the new version - and replace the copy (if there is one) in the DLL Cache folder also. I'd suggest first renaming the old one to something easy to remember (such as UNICOWS.BAK).

Once they're re-named - then you can just copy the one from your desktop to those locatations.

It may be easier if you do a search for "unicows.dll" (without the quotes) on your system first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users