Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Strange Audio and Disc reader turn offs*help!*

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nevie

Nevie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

Ok, about a month ago, our cd drive wouldnt close itself, what i mean is that when you pushed the little button, the tray would pop out, and you put the disc in, but the tray wouldnt retract when you pushed the button again. So we had to push the tray in by ourselves.And the cd drive wouldnt read the disc, it would make a spinning sound, but nothing would happen.So we were all pretty mad b/c the computer was only 1 1/2 years old and not alot of junk on it. So we left it. Just a few days ago, my brother notices there was no sound. If we tried to play music or video from windows media, or anything, we got a little message that said "cannot play because of problem with your sound device". Even on MSN messenger when a person logs in, all you hear is a little "blink" from the area where you put cds and stuff inside...but our cd drive worked! we could put in Cds and it would read them! WE DID ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO FIX IT! So it seems that the cd drive problem replaced itself with the audio problem(which the audio/sound device has always been perfect before)Does anyone know how to fix this?Or what caused this?Could it be a virus? Your help would be GREATLY appreaciated!
Thanks for your time,
Nevie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pbull221

pbull221

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:14 AM

did anyone go inside the case and change any cables, hardware or jumpers? Have you loaded any recent driver updates for anything from the video card all the way to a new printer? If you have online access go to www.trendmicro.com and try the free online virus scan. the link is right in the middle of the page and you have to jump through a minimal set of hoops to scan your box. The only trouble might come from needing the latest JRE (Java Runtime Environment) but if you are using XP that should not be an issue.

take you time, these things have a lot more patience built in to them than I do on some days...

#3 Nevie

Nevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:40 PM

Im pretty sure no one did, and we did just scan our computer with norton antivirus...but i think we'll have someone come and look at our computer. We probably just need to really clean it out and then we might find whats wrong with it. But thanks for the help, i'll ask everyone if they maybe changed something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users