Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Mce 2k5 Upgrade To Xp Pro?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 csolarz

csolarz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

So i got this new laptop with XP MCE 2005 on it. I need to add it to a domain so I need to either install Vista business / ultimate on it or go with XP Pro. I feel more comfortable with application compatability, so I want to just move it to XP Pro instead of rolling the dice with vista.

has anyone ever just popped the Xp Pro CD in and did an upgrade to media center edition?
CSolarz..

MCSA/MCSE/ MCT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

XP MCE is capable of being a domain member, however if the laptop was initially set up as a workgroup type network, you must completely restore the computer and complete the initial setup while you are hooked up to the domain. I would recommend talking to your IT department.

I have some questions
What brand is your laptop?

Did it come with recovery disks?

Does it have a recovery partition on it?

Have you installed any new software, or do you have any important items?

and finally it is possible to install XP pro over XP MCE, but it is difficult.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

FWIW - there's no upgrade path from MCE to XPPro - so it'll require a full version of XP Pro in order to install. Depending on the make/model of your computer you may be able to downgrade to XPHome (with the help of a friend's XPHome disk) and then upgrade to XPPro.

As I recall, MCE can access shares on a domain - but is unable to join a domain.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

USAMA the XP Pro upgrade version can be used,

1 Boot from XP CD

2 F8 to agree to license

3 Esc and locate XP MCE installation , quick format

install

works every time

other information is needed to locate the original drivers for the computer, and avoid formatting the recovery partition

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

Sorry, my only experience with this has been with a new Gateway computer that we tried to upgrade to XPPro for a customer. No matter what we tried, the install just wouldn't work. A call to Microsoft Tech Support got us this reply:

. . . Here is a summary of the key points of the service request for your records:

Action: attempting to upgrade from Media Center to XP Pro
Result: invalid product key error
Cause: not a supported upgrade path
Resolution: format hard drive and clean install XP Pro

Knowledge based article(s) related to your case:

- Windows XP Supported Upgrade Paths
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;292607
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ing/matrix.mspx

While I do not like upgrades personally, the customer insisted on this so that they would not lose the the programs that came packaged with the Gateway.

The workaround that a coworker devised was to use the system restore function on the Gateway (F11 at boot), then insert an XPHome CD (rather than the Gateway provided CD). The restore copied over the i386 folder to the hard drive - and the resulting restore showed XPHome. Then we were able to do the upgrade with no issues. We suspect, but have not tried this, that using the XPPro CD (in place of the XPHome CD) would have given the same results.

Also, I would suspect that, with formatting the hard drive, XPPro would ask for a qualifying product CD to prove eligibility for the upgrade. And, unless one had a qualifying product CD available, that the installation would terminate.

Edited by usasma, 03 January 2007 - 08:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

I have also use the work around on gateways, by substituting a XP Pro Upgrade disk, however this was a purchased upgrade disk that had a valid product key, and the upgrades always ask for the product key.

WinXP MCE cannot be running. The boot must be from the CD Upgrade, and the drive must be formatted, if not the initial registry will not be written.( HP/Compaq/Toshiba/Acer/Dell)

Gateways/EMachine: complete the recovery partition with the upgrade disk, finish the recovery, should ask for the key when the machine restarts.

#7 csolarz

csolarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

The laptop in question is a Dell inspiron 1705.

This whole upgrade/ reinstall thing is on account of Dell service. My screen flickers at times and doesn't seem to refresh correctly. Talked to Dell service more than once and they're final resolution is to reload the OS from the restore DVD I have. Well the issue is that if I am reloading the OS from scratch, I want XP Pro. I have a full copy of it available.

I was kinda hoping to do an inplace upgrade so I don't have to worry about drivers and crap like that, but it appears to no be an option. Maybe I can get another hard drive and load that one from scratch, see if it helps any..
CSolarz..

MCSA/MCSE/ MCT

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

On your hdd there should be a C:\Dell folder. underneath that is where all the original drivers and software is normally located at. Also, there may be a recovery partition accessed by the CTRL F11 key sequence at boot.
Check your recovery DVD to see if the drivers and applications can be located on it. If it is one of the dvds that use norton ghost, you should make a copy of the original drivers and applications before you do anything with the XP Pro cd that you have.

on the screen flicker, have you tried changing the refresh frequency of the screen, and have you tried the latest driver for the video chip?

#9 csolarz

csolarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

The ATI catalyst control center only has 60Hz as the refresh option. So no luck there. I have also tried to pull drivers from both ATI and Dell.. no change.

it's the wierdes thing. Some times it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to find any commonality or pattern to root out it's cause.

It is fine in safe mode and in the BIOS screen. So I would think it's a driver issue. Model is ATI X1400 mobility radeon. I have tried at different resolutions with no success. Thinking it was an EM interference issue, I used it outside on battery power with no electronic devices nearby with no luck. I tried on wired and wireless.. no luck.

any other thoughts?
CSolarz..

MCSA/MCSE/ MCT

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

How many icons do you have on your desktop and how much RAM to you have?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:03 AM

Since you've tried multiple video drivers I wouldn't expect the drivers to be THE issue. The common factor appears to be the card itself. Do you have access to another video card that you can try? This will help to rule out the card itself as the problem.

What I suspect is that there's a problem in an area of the card that's affected by the part of the drivers that isn't accessed in Safe Mode. Sort of it being an "advanced" function that Safe Mode doesn't address. This theory is complicated by the drivers in Safe Mode not being the same drivers used in normal mode- so using another, known good, card would help to isolate this..

Edited by usasma, 04 January 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

Two other things just came to mind: What version of DirecX do you have? (start>run> (type {dxdiag}, [enter]))

is your hardware acceleration all the way on?, also you can try turning off write combining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users