Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pausing Between Mp3 Tracks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi There and Happy New Year to you all!

I have a question regarding player MP3 files on an MP3 player. I ripped some non-stop DJ mix CD's to MP3 format and then re-burned as a data disc in order to compress 4 CD's into 1.

When I play this CD in my computer, the disc will play seamlessly with no breaks between the tracks (it's a non-stop mix). However, why is there a 1 or 2 second pause between the tracks when I play this CD in another (non-computer) MP3 player?

I discovered this New Year's Eve at a house party and the pauses completely "ruined" the mix. Is there a way around this annoyance?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

Which burning software did you use?

#3 Josh Inno

Josh Inno

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

It depends on how the compression is done. Are you actually compressing the same amount of data with a compression algorithm, or are you re-sampling at a lower rate? If individual tracks (rather than the song as a whole) are compressed separately, then any reader must first read the data relating to the decryption algorythm in order to play the song. Reading this data takes time, and this data must be stored in order to be used. Computers can read this information ahead of time from a multi-speed reader as a part of processing the track as a whole, and store it, depending on the software used.

A player might not have the speed to read ahead, or the storage capacity to keep more than one encryption algorithm in storage.

You might try splicing the ends of the tracks together in order to force compression of the music as a whole.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

I'm not an expert at creating MP3 discs. This was my first time LOL. :flowers:

I use a Dell OEM version of Roxio that became pre-installed on my comp. What I did was the following:

- used Windows Media Player 10 to rip the audio CD to my hard drive to MP3 and 256kbps.
- I did this for each audio CD (4 in total) and saved to the same folder, starting each mp3 file name with 01, 02, etc up to 83 (I ripped 83 tracks in total from 4 CD's)
- selected all the tracks in Windows Explorer
- dragged the tracks to my CD-RW drive (drive F)
- a balloon popped up telling me there were files to copy
- I selected to copy files to CD and then I selected "Data disc"

All files were burned in the order I wanted onto 1 CD, about 3/4 full.

Now, how do I eliminate the gaps between the songs to create a seamless mix? Again, it is perfect when playing in my ROM but not a standalone MP3 player.

Do I need a plugin, crossover link, etc. etc.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

Are there any mp3 guru's out there? :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone can help. :flowers:

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

:thumbsup: Not a guru but what you could try is the following :

1) Download the evaluation copy of Nero
2) Install it
3) Start an MP3 CD
4) After you have completed selection of the tracks do the following :
CTRL A (to select all tracks) right click propperties, you will than see a variety of filters, 1q being fade in fade out, set this at 0 (zero) and try again to play it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users