Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[please Help!] Usb Networking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spider_darth

spider_darth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi

I'm planning to connect my printer (HP PSC 1350 All-In-One Series) and an external HDD (NTFS formatted) over a network. As such, I want a device which has both USB and Ethernet ports so that I can connect my printer and HDD into the USB ports and connect to my existing router via Ethernet.

I've tried searching for such a device and the closest I found was Planex's Mini-MFP 10/100 Mbps USB 2.0 MFP Server. However, it's not compatible with my printer and does not support NTFS-formatted HDD. http://www.planex.net/product/print/mini-mfp.htm

The Silex's SX-5000U2 does not support NTFS format.
http://www.silexamerica.com/us/prod...sx5000u2_2.html

1. Does anyone know of such a usb server? If possible, I prefer one with plug and play (easy setup) as I'm quite new to networking.

2. Also, is it true that all usb servers do not support NTFS format? Cuz almost all the usb servers I found only support FAT much to my disappointment.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

NetGear has a wireless print server (WGPS606) that may work for you. It has 2 USB ports. Check to see if it's compatible with your printer on the NetGear website. I got mine for about $35 (US) as a refurbished item through http://www.pricegrabber.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 spider_darth

spider_darth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

Sorry, the product u've mentioned does not support external HDD. It only functions as a print server.

Moreover, I'll prefer a wired USB server.

But, thanks anyway! :thumbsup:

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Well personally I have never seen such a device. The only thing I can think of that could do the trick is a PC. Maybe network Data storage devices will have a usb but I am not suire if they are able to be used as a print server as I would not think it will be able to assign network IP addresses out to a USB.
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

You can turn the transmitter off on that router and just use the 4 wired ports on the router, that usasma recommended. Also you could swap out you drive into a NAS that supports ethernet as well as USB.

Here is a product that may fit your needs. I believe it will support external hard drives also.
Sapido WE-1310 Wireless G All-in-One Storage Router w/Fax
Was this what you had in mind??
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users