Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Blacking Out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 motllah

motllah

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:45 AM

Hi,
I'm using an AOC Spectrum 9klr CRT monitor and Windows XP.
In the last few weeks my monitor has begun having some problems, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to which programs are open when it occurs.
I'll be using the computer, sometimes it will not have been running for long, sometimes for hours, then everything on the screen except the mouse movement freezes, the whole screen switches to black, comes back with some scrambled lines and colours, then returns to Windows. After this has happened video files will play their audio but not their visuals untill I restart the computer.
I thought it might have been a problem with my video card, but I've left the computer running with an old monitor for a week straight and the problem didn't occur.
Any clues would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

Try to connect your monitor to another computer to identify whether it is your video card or your monitor which is at fault..

#3 motllah

motllah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:15 AM

But the computer ran without incident with an older monitor for a week. Wouldn't that mean it's more likely the current monitor causing the problem rather than the video card?

Edited by motllah, 02 January 2007 - 08:15 AM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image Overlooked that sorry...Did you try to replace the VGA cable between the monitor and the computer as a first resort?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yes, it's likely that the monitor is the issue (because of the older monitor not screwing up). But a test on another system will help to confirm this (and help to rule out any "quirks" that may have caused this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 motllah

motllah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image Overlooked that sorry...Did you try to replace the VGA cable between the monitor and the computer as a first resort?

Hadn't thought of that. The VGA cable is the one that plugs into the computer? I didn't know they're removable. I just took a look at the cable and it doesn't look too easy to remove. Is it a bit of work?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the monitor on another system tomorrow.

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

OK I'll wait for the result of that test and we take it from there.

#8 motllah

motllah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

So I ran the monitor on another system yesterday and it went well. Plugged it back into my computer and and after a day it did the same thing.
I'm back to thinking it's the video card with the problem. What's the best way to uninstall all traces of the previous drivers and update them?

#9 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:35 AM

Step 1 Download latest drivers for your video-card do not install
Step 2 Remove allready installed drivers frm your computer and install the latest drivers
Step 3 Go to : Right click My computer Properties Hardware and remove the videocard via Rightclick
Step 4 : Reboot, the video card will be tracked ( assuming you have winxp) and installed via wizzard hardware and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users