Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favourite Computer Games Of People Over 25 Years Old

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

Hey,

Im a guy in my 40's and I love playing Starcraft on line.

I have a soft spot for command and control games.

I would love to know what games older people like. I want to broaden my horizons.

I have read the thread about best games of all time. I would like to restrict this thread to older players who may have similar tastes as me.

Constantine.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

command and conquer / red alert series, i think thats a must have for all ages who like strategy games. (i dont recamend generals though, that wasnt that good)
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:16 AM

I'm not as old as you may like me to be for posting this, but it looks like you enjoy Strategy games as do I.

Have you tried the Age of Empires games, namely Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings and The Conquerors Expansion? I still come play those games and I've had them for around five to six years.

#4 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Warcraft 3 is very much like starcraft and has online play. I think its better then starcraft personally. But i must confess im only 18.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Though I pass the age requirement for this thread, I think there are plenty of young gamers playing good, solid games. So we gotta give 'em that.

One of my favorite games of all time are those of the Homeworld series. I just replayed the original game...great stuff. And when you get to the end, you get to hear a groovy song writen by the band Yes.

Edited by locally pwned, 02 January 2007 - 02:27 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

I always find myself returning to the original Empire Earth after forays into other games, although from time to time I play Pharoah, SimCity, and Rome: Total War. Then there is always WOW!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hmmm..Interesting..Ive heard about warcraft 3 now a number of times..I must try that one..Also, I agree about The AoE games..I like those too.

#8 Josh Inno

Josh Inno

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

You may want to consider Civilizations. I have not played it myself, but it's a command and conquer style game that is entertaining just to listen to due to Lenard Nemoy reading off famous quotes from world leaders present and past. Any of my friends that enjoy command and conquer games love Civilizations, as does my step-father who is around 50. So from 20 somethings to 50 somethings, Civilizations has testimonials for it.

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

Civilization 4 isn't a bad game if you like to manage cities, but I can't say I liked the combat when comparing it to other RTS games.

Whoever it was who mentioned the Homeworld games, those games are so cool. I love how you can control the action and camera in a complete 3D plane. If anybody has Homeworld 1 or 2 and likes Star Wars, I definatly recommend trying out one of the Star Wars mods. The one for Homeworld 2 is called 'Star Wars: Warlords' I believe, but it's still in a beta and is quite buggy. I like the Star Wars mod so much just because I was always hoping for a Star Wars game which would allow me to actually control the ships and 'Empire At War' didn't do as well as a job as I was expecting because you could only control your ships in a 2D plane and I thought that was kind of a dumb concept since it is space.

If you really like to manage cities and fight epic battles, I strongly recommend any of the games from the Total War series. You can fight battles with thousands of soldiers and it's pretty awsome.

#10 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

Civilization is a strategy game, although its more running your country than individual units. (ie, you won't be controlling individual units like you would in Company of Heroes or Warhammer.) I actually prefer Civ for that reason. I'm horrible at small unit tactics.) For traditional RTS, I recommend Warhammer Dawn of War and its expansions, and Company of Heroes if you like WWII. If you want to try a first person shooter with an emphasis on tactics, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is a pretty good choice, IMO. gk

#11 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

I am finding these recommendations very helpful. Keep em coming.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

I like Guild Wars. It's similar to World of Warcraft but it's free online play. They've had 3 games come out now (2 including original). All different worlds and storylines, but they can (if you choose to) tie the games together by doing certain quests. I have a character from the very first game that is now in the latest release....so with my first character, I've played all 3 games. Also, with their new games they each have 2 new characters. You can also choose and swap out your "secondary profession", which is great, and keeps thing interesting IMHO. There's a lot more to this game too, but you can read about it online and whatnot. It's also got an "older" crowd, with a lot of players over 18 or 20. Of course, it's still got a lot of teens, but they're easy enough to ignore (type their name and click "ignore").

Also, I still tool around with Generals Zero Hour. Ya, it's "an old game" now, but I still enjoy the RTS aspect of it. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of CnC 3!!!!! Should be this summer/fall. :thumbsup:

F.E.A.R. is great for a FPS game, but I don't like the online play (to "fast and furious" for me).

BF2 series is a great online FPS game. It's even better if you are in a squad that works well together.

These are just some of the better games that I've enjoyed playing. One day I'll grow up and stop playing games.....but I'm not holding my breath! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#13 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Whoever it was who mentioned the Homeworld games, those games are so cool. I love how you can control the action and camera in a complete 3D plane. If anybody has Homeworld 1 or 2 and likes Star Wars, I definatly recommend trying out one of the Star Wars mods. The one for Homeworld 2 is called 'Star Wars: Warlords' I believe, but it's still in a beta and is quite buggy.

Homeworld was so interesting to me from the start because it is fully 3D...you can zoom completely in on the biggest super-capitol ship or the tiny scout and pan 360 degrees around it. Also, the formations were a great addition. There are no bases, no structures...just fleets of ships. If you prefer the tactical side of RTS games, this is the one for you.

Oh, and of course it is a gorgeous game. Even today I still think it ranks pretty far up there, but especially if you keep in mind that it was made in '99. It had an excellent score as well...ranging from strange atmospheric background music to the hauntingly beautiful Adagio for Strings.

Homeworld 2 had some interesting additions...such as upgradeable ships and platform defenses. Also, movement was a bit easier...you could shift the camera where ever you want, rather than being confined to individual ships. It is, of course, mind-boggling gorgeous as well. Even resource collection looks freakin' awesome. How many games can say that?

The biggest overall difference between the two, if I had to sum it up, is that there is a much larger gap in terms of strength between the frigate, destroyer, and cruiser classes. In Homeworld, a frigate seemed much stronger than in HW2. In the second game an individual frigate can be "popped" quite easily, as can a destroyer, when either are attacked by a cruiser (in HW2 the Heavy Cruiser is now called a "Battlecruiser").

But I do like the modular design of the ships in HW2. It puts an interesting twist on tactics. In order to build each class of ship, you have to build a respective construction module on your carriers and mother ship. But enemy bombers can target individual modules...so, to slow down the production of heavy ships, you can send in wings of bombers to take out capital ship facilities. In larger combat, you can help blunt the firepower of enemy battlecruisers by sending strike craft (bombers, fighters, corvettes) to target the main weapon systems. You can even disable a fleeing ship by targeting its engines.

As for the Star Wars mod Warlords, yeah I have messed with it. Pretty cool for the most part...like you say, it's a bit buggy still. It seems to bog the machine down more than HW2's regular units...even though I have way more resources than required. Hopefully the next version will run better. Of course, I was sort of hoping for a Star Trek mod for HW2...there were a few for the first one, but none so far for HW2.

Like I say, Warlords has issues, but man, the ships are sure pretty. My main beef with the mod is that even a Star Destroyer with its myriad of guns...misses a target with more lasers shots than it hits. So if you need a specific ship destroyed quickly...good luck. Though at least you'll get a nice light show! :thumbsup:

Edited by locally pwned, 03 January 2007 - 12:45 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#14 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

I've recently found myself into an old game. Tiberian Sun, which is a kinda' fun old Real tiem Stratagy game from 99'. Gameplay was alright, and annoying at times and some of the movie scenes with "real" actors where cheesy. :D
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#15 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

Yea, it was programmed so that the lasers have terrible accuracy for more of the cinematic effect. When you start to get the bigger ships, it slows down the computer, but it's still a pretty neat effect.

--

Oh there is a free game called Navyfield that's pretty fun. It's a massive online game where you get a ship (WW2 age ships), train and level up sailors to man the guns you purchase, and join game rooms to battle it out in the open waters. Graphically, it's pretty outdated, but it has it's fun moments. Basacially, it's free without any money or experience restrictions till level 30. Once the sailors hit level 30, they get hit with a penalty unless you subscribe to the game (regular subscriptions are $8 and premium subscriptions with more experience and money per battle are like $11 a month). While it is still free, you just wont get as much reward for your battles as you could if you subscribed.

*edit* though I haven't seen the trailer for it, I've heard it is a bit misleading in how it portrays the game. I'd suggest a quick look at some screenshots to see how the game will really look.

Check it out at Navyfield.com

Edited by Wizdabest, 03 January 2007 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users