Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Music Between Computers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

OK. Here's the deal. All my music is on my laptop (Toshiba PentiumR 4, 2.80Ghz w/448MB RAM running XP Home) and I want to transfer it to my new desktop ( HP pavilion a1640n- Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz w/ 2GB RAM running XP Media Center Ed 2005).
My music is on the C drive in a shared folder.
I first tried burning it onto some blank DVD_R discs I have. For whatever reason my burner in the laptop would not recognize those discs :flowers:
I next tried to install my Zune software into the laptop. My thinking was to use the player (which will be my portable music player) to download from laptop then load into the desktop. Unfortunately, the installation of Zune software into the laptop failed on several attempts for unknown reasons :thumbsup:
SOOOOO, next I loaded some of the songs onto my iPOD shuffle. However, when I try to transfer music from iTunes to Zune it doesn't take (maybe the AAC format of iTunes?)
HELP!! I just want to get my music library onto my desktop and be able to sync it with my Zune. I know there must be a really easy way to do this. Any sugestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi mpetrodoc.
Don't know what exact problem you're having with the dvd's but plain old cd-r's would be better.
You could always upload them to someplace like RapidShare, then download them to your other system as a workaround. Of course, if it's a large amount and you're on a slow connection, it's not a desirable option.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hi mpetrodoc, which burning software did you use?

#4 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

I tried burning from windows media player and then using Sonic. Neither worked.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

Go to Nero and download the trial version.
Install it and than try to burn as MP3 DVD

#6 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

Burned music to CD-Rs. Worked like a charm. Thanks all :thumbsup:

#7 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

I recently had to copy all my music from one machine to another.
Fortunately I already had an external hard drive so I just copied it all onto that but if you don't already have an external HDD I guess thats an expensive option ;)

#8 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

One problem. I burned the music from my iTunes library onto CD-R. Then ripped them to my Zune library on my new machine.
However, none of the song info got transfered over in the process. So now I have a couple hundred unknown songs in my Zune. How do I move all my music AND all the song info from my laptop to my desktop?

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Copy the music as a Data disc, not a Music CD, then there should be no need to rip the songs, just transfer the data.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

How do I do that? The music is on my C drive as "my music" in my documents.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Do it the same way you burn CD's, when you do back-up's of the information on your harddrive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 anthony914

anthony914

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

so you don't have a network, you could of used that if you did...

#13 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:25 AM

My laptop is connected wirelessly to a wireless router which is wired to my desktop. I don't think this qualifies as a network. But what do I know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users