Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Gets Stuck After Logon - Wont Shutdown Or Restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mischief_no1

mischief_no1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

I USED NORTON REMOVAL TOOL...AND AS SOON I USE IT I WAS ABLE TO LOGON TO MY SYSTEM BUT IT IS GETTING STUCK RIGHT AFTER LOGGING ON....I CAN USE MY LAPTOP IF I GO INTO SAFE MODE BUT NOTHING ELSE SEEMS TO WORK....

IVE THREE LOGONS CREATED ON MY LAPTOP...2 OF THEM ARE ADMIN AND ANOTHER ONE IS LIMITED...THE LIMITED ONE WORKS FINE...BUT THE OTHER TWO DONT....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Have you tried to use the System Restore? Go back before you made the changes.

#3 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi I use Norton; one just antivirus and one is norton system works. I do not recognize the removal tool to which you refer.

You MIGHT want to uninstall Norton and then re-install. I have had problems with too many logon identities.

If you uninstall Norton, do use the "add/remove programs" and click the "support" link first to see what it says. And for sure, be offline when you actually hit the button to uninstall Norton. When you re-install, you have a chance to reset your settings.

Also, make SURE your windows firewall is enabled. Actually, first go to the windows security center icon and click each item to see what kind of message you get.

If you do the uninstall/reinstall; I would do a windows cleanup and defrag before you reload Norton.

One more thing; do you have a spyware program installed? If you do, you might want to update it before you go offline, and run it after the uninstall and before the cleanup and defrag.

PS It is imperative to have a spyware program installed. Norton only does virus.

One more thing: if you can only boot to safe mode, try selecting safe mode with networking and go to http://safety.live.com/. It will do a complete free scan and some fixes as well.

I am sorry this is written backwards; I think the steps should be followed from the bottom up.

happy new year and good luck.
Joy
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users