Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max Resolution Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'm not overly sure what I've managed to do to my computer, but for some reason. the max resolution has gone down and the option for 1280x1024 isn't there any more. It started when I hooked up a secondary monitor, of the same type. The other one has all the normal resolution options, but my main one caps out at 1280x800, which makes my games look funny.

I looked at it today and it had more options than it normally did, so I chose the highest to mess around, which caused me to restart my computer. and then it all looked bad, so I had to restore my computer through safe mode, which brought me back to the original problem, and I don't know what I did in the first place to get all the high resolution options.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

Only the recommended screen resolutions are listed in the Display Properties/Settings.

For additional settings, click the Advanced button on the Settings tab,click the Adapter tab, and then click List all Modes.
Select the resolution, color level, and refresh rate you want.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:29 AM

howdy

This sounds like a familiar problem, My cousins computer had a similar issue when I was fiddling with it. I would open up the properties and it would list the highest resolution as something ridiculous like 1280x1100 or whatever, And then Id close it and reopen it 3 seconds later, and it would come up with like 800x600

Do you have your drivers fully updated and installed correctly? If not then this may be the issue, as if it is bugged, incorrectly installed, or just not installed right at all, it may cause your computer to second guess itself so to speak about how much resolution it can handle... think of it as you staring at a metre stick, But your brain not knowing how big to percieve it as, and as such everytime you blink the object gets smaller or bigger

SEcondly, Specs, List some specs so that we know what we're dealing with in case what I and TMack say dont' help

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

Taken directly from Windows XP Product Documentation:

"Your display reverts to its default resolution when you close the program."
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

It just seems strange that I had been using 1280x1024 for about 2 years now, and I installed a second monitor, and then my main ones maxes changed.. List all Modes in the display options still doesnt list 1280x1024 as possible. The only way I could get it to that resolution right now it by opening up my ATI Catalyst program and setting it there, but none of my games recognize 1280x1024 as a resolution any more even if my monitor is on that setting at the time.
Specs, not sure whats relative for this.. but
Graphics card - ATI Radeon x800
RAM - 1Gb
Intel Pent 4 3 GHz
Monitors are Samsung SyncMaster 940MWs if thats relevent at all.

Edited by Mojinko, 03 January 2007 - 10:42 PM.

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

I did a search on your monitor to ensure that in fact it does support what resolution you were running it at
these are the results

Review #1
Review #2

While I am not 100% as to how good PCW is, I knwo this, they both state that the resolution you were running it at is plausible , And is the max res of hte monitor itself

Your video card is MORE than worthy of going to that resolution

So I have to ask

Have you fiddled with your drivers recently, As this might be the cause of the decrease in resoultion. Glitchy drivers, disable the ability to reach certain resolution, Or could mess with what is plausible.

I know this for a fact because when you first install windows, your resolution options aren't that great, because your video drivers aren't updated at all, Once you update you can reach whatever your monitor maxes out at

Does your computer recognize your driver and is it correct in the display properites?

have you tried reinstlaling drivers to see if this fixes the issue?

multple things you could do to see whats' causing this :thumbsup:

Here is the latest ATI drivers direct from the site for the x800 radeon video card, Try reinstalling them and see what happens or install them if they're up to date

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

While I'm not familiar with dual monitor setups - I would suspect that it takes more GPU power to run 2 monitors than it does to run 1. That being so, I'd suspect that you may see a decrease due to the driver's ability to support it. As resp suggested, try updating your drivers to see if this helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

I think I also missed the fact that it was a dual monitor setup..... Misread whoops... 2 am posts For the lose....

#9 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

So.. err.. yeah.. >.> I just figured out that apparently over the last two years, the six or seven times that I tried to update my graphics drivers, I ignored that whole part about uninstalling the ones that were currently there.. So now I have a max resolution of 1400x900 on both my monitors, which is quite nifty looking, but I'm still not sure what messed it up in the first place.

Thanks for the help resp, TMacK, and usasma!

Edited by Mojinko, 04 January 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#10 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:39 AM

Simple glitches in your driver configuration or in the way they were installed could have contributed to it :thumbsup: and your welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users