Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does One Secure A Wireless Network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

hello,
Here at home we have a router and two computers. Right now our wireless network is unsecure. My Uncle is a computer guru but is never around to secure our network. He told us not to do it by ourselves because we can get locked out of our own network. Yet isn't it true that if it is not secure, anyone can use it?

So.... with that question in mind,

How does one secure a home wireless network? Both computers are running Windows XP Professional with SP2. I am getting tired of waiting for Uncle Jeff to come do it for me. Is it wise to do it by myself?

Hope I made sense and help!,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

This article covers most all of it.
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

To set that up you usually need to point your web browser at the IP address of your router and log into it using the default user name and password, or the user name/password it was most recently set to by the owner. Check the router's documentation for details on that.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:18 PM

Security is a relative term here. How secure do you want your network? If it's just to be secured from drive by leeches sucking up your bandwidth - almost any security will do. The leeches will move on to easier places.

If it's to protect your network from "poachers" - then you'll have to start with the differing levels of security that your router offers. Also, I'm a great fan of the time honored tradition of turning things off when they're not being used. If you turn your wireless router off when you're not using it - no one can get in! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

You can use WEP or WPA to secure it via a security key. These are OK but are easily hacked.

The best form of attack in my opinion is Mac address filtering. But I would say read the manual for the Router before setting up any security on it. This can result in not being able to connect to it.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users