Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield 2142

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 t_chet2001

t_chet2001

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hi guys and gals,

Im having problems, i got bettlefield for christmas, and have been experincing high pings when playing online.

I have updated my graphics card and the game plays fine in single player mode. I have gotten rid of all spyware on the system using this forum also. I am now thinking it is definitly the router i am using. I have wireless router but this PC is wired in.

The router i am using is "Dell Wireless 2350 Wireless Router"

When playing i close all background programmes but am still getting a ping of sometimes 600!

So any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Here, this link should take you to the EA support page for Battlefield 2142. Could it be just your internet connection or have you tried it by connecting through an ethernet port rather than through wireless? I've heard that wireless routers could sometimes not be as good as wired ones. You could also try some of the things in the link I've provided below such as opening ports on the router to possibly help the game connect.

EA-Battlefield 2142 Support

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Any battlefield game is prone to high pings, This I know, I own bf2 and 2142 and I have played 1942

Are you playing on high populatoin servers? because this could be the cause, Even if your computer is top o the line you can still get large quantities of lag,

Pings are not always Internet related, Often times peopl ehave the internet connection for it, ITs just the game gfx are lagging

Post your specs, and what you're running the settings at, And that'll give me a better grip on if its your GFX or indeed your internet

I have a amd 64 bit 3500 with a 6800 GS card, And I got like 600 ping on BF2 last night, because my game factor was lagging ridiculously, Just to give you an idea lol

#4 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

i aint got the top of the line pc, but here is what i no about it

Dell Dimension 8300
pentium 3ghz processor
510ram
direct x9
Geforce fx5200

With relation to highly populated servers, i have done a mix, all EA UK (i live in UK) and the same laggy experience in all of them.

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

They recommend you have 1 gig of ram for games like battlefield becuase if you play on any server over about 12 it requires a lot of memory to load

First and foremost find a server you're going to go to, or would go to, and write down the IP

go to start --> run --> type in "cmd"
when command prompt pops up type in "tracert IP" where IP is the ip of the server that you go, No need for the port extension by teh way

this will test your relative ping to that server, It won't test what it will be in game, just relative, this is just to see if it is your internet or not, but I doubt it is

Second thing you can do

go into BF2142, And lower all your settings, and resolution, Yes, I knwo it sucks, But, if you want to play this game decently, you're going to have to, I know what its like to not have that great ofa computer trying to play good games, And I hate it as well, That's why I find it stupid that they come out with games like BF that everyone wants to play, its only a marketing scheme to get people to buy more ASUS or NVIDIA parts lol

Id personally be playing your game on medium---> low settings and test out how it is, As well if theres an option in htere, I know there is one for BF2, lower the distance that it renders, should be under video settings as well,

Its not necessarily needed to see 100% of the way across hte map, and it only causes the game to lag more and more

This should help your FPS a ton, Also ensure that your video card drivers are up to date by checking hte nvidia site

Hope this helps and happy gaming :thumbsup:

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

*edit* accidently posted before I could type out what I wanted.

Oh, about the graphics department, you definatly want to look into having at least a gig of ram. I forgot to ask about that, I know you said that the pings are high, which is pretty common in Battlefield games like somebody stated and I agree, I tend to not join games where I can't get under 50-60 ping. Heck, I can't even use the Sniper class efficiently unless my ping is around 20.

Does the lag clear up at all after an extended amount of time in a server? If there is really bad lag when you first connect to a server, it could be that your graphic settings are too high and need to be lowered. The family computer (P4 2.4, 1 gig ram, 6800 gt) would chug for at least the first 20-30 minutes whenever I entered a server in Battlefield 2. I'd guess that it's loading the map or the environment or something, but lowering the graphical settings would minimize the time it would chug.

Edited by Wizdabest, 01 January 2007 - 11:54 PM.

#7 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

I have the settings all set down to the lowest already. I managed to get into the router and mess around a bit last night, i managed to get the Ip adress of the router through the router quicker by putting it into a filter setting. If that means anything...

I mean, the computer really does "chug" to get into the game, sometimes taking between 5/10 mins. Yesterday once I got in I had a huge variety in pings, from a decent 30 to 150. But there was a definit improvement.

I have a crazy way in which I get the interenet because I live in the sticks of the UK. Although it has never been a problem before as I get over a meg download speeds. My friend in the villiage gets pings of no more than 20 so im just getting annoyed that mines averaging at 60ish!!Im going to speak to my provider and see if he can do anything to speed my connection up somehow.

#8 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

it could be your ram. you only have 512mb of it. when i look at the task manager when im playing on a server, it usually uses up around 650-900 mb of ram (i got 2 gb). all of your other parts look fine.

maybe a ram upgrade?

#9 t_chet2001

t_chet2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

it could be your ram. you only have 512mb of it. when i look at the task manager when im playing on a server, it usually uses up around 650-900 mb of ram (i got 2 gb). all of your other parts look fine.

maybe a ram upgrade?

I mean my computer knowledge is limited, what would be the steps towards a ram upgrade?

this week I managed to get the ping down to a 100 by updating manually the punkbuster programme which b 2142 uses. It was trying to update during gameplay which it is meant to do.

but yer get back to be about the ram :thumbsup:

#10 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

in order to update ram the only thing you need to know is what type of ram you need

IE PC2700 DDR 333 or whatever, I believe

there is a program that will tell you all that you need to know, I just dont' know it at the moment.. I know Usasma does

#11 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

You can try going to Crucial.com. They have a small app that you load onto your computer which reads the motherboard, etc. and then Crucial will pull up a list of various ram chips and graphics cards that you computer can use. Also, it will show you what your max ram is with your current mother board, and what you currently have installed. For instance, you might have one 512mb chip, or you could have two 256mb chips installed. gk

#12 ineedhelp!!!

ineedhelp!!!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

Any battlefield game is prone to high pings, This I know, I own bf2 and 2142 and I have played 1942

Are you playing on high populatoin servers? because this could be the cause, Even if your computer is top o the line you can still get large quantities of lag,

Pings are not always Internet related, Often times peopl ehave the internet connection for it, ITs just the game gfx are lagging

Post your specs, and what you're running the settings at, And that'll give me a better grip on if its your GFX or indeed your internet

I have a amd 64 bit 3500 with a 6800 GS card, And I got like 600 ping on BF2 last night, because my game factor was lagging ridiculously, J
just to give you an idea lol

hey i am haveing trouble with battlefield 2142 i have been going on this 1 server i like since i got the game but yesterday my ping went up to 600 and kiked me off and it is still the same i dont no whats wrong please help oh and i am runnning AMD Turion64x2 and nvidia grathics on windows vista oh and i am on a laptop with wireless please help me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users