Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bakura82

bakura82

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

Problem: Sharing Win2k Resources

I have multiple XP systems that utilize the internet and share resources through a router. I have recently added a Win2k system to the network and I am able to access the internet fine once I set it up with a valid IP. Unfortunately I cannot see shared drives or resources on the Win2k machine from my XP machines nor can I access the XP machines from the Win2k machine.

I am sure Win2k is a wonderful OS for complex networks, however, it is over kill for me and I can’t get this whole permissions, sharing, security, and etc thing to work it seems.

I have set the Win2k machine to the same workgroup as my other PC’s. The XP PC’s are DHCPing 192.168.1.1xx addresses with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. I set the Win2k machine to use the static IP of 192.168.1.100 with the same subnet, gateway, and a DNS server of 192.168.1.1.

The only components installed with the Win2k Network Connection are: Client for windows..., File and print sharing..., and TCP/IP. At this point, on XP machines, you should see each other (without the additional sharing/security settings).

I have tried various settings to allow for the Win2k and XP machines to see each other, but none has worked. Rather than tell you what I have done, I would rather just do it from scratch correctly.

By the way, while I don’t think NetBEUI is needed unless you are using a pre-Win2k Windows OS, I turned it on for giggles. I did notice that the workgroup now listed my XP machine, however, when I connect I get the “network path was not found” error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Esteban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

I've known a few folks who have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and report good results with it.

In this post Grinler talks about the steps to take to make sure everything is seen/shared on the network: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76551/xp-file-sharing-2-machines-wont-talk/

The only other trick that I can suggest is "mirroring" the accounts. This is having the same account name and password on each system in the workgroup. Don't just change the name of the XP systems - you'll have to create new accounts so that the name is truly the same on each system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users