Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching From Spyware Doctor > Sbybot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 westsideg

westsideg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

Yo all,

ive recently been using Spyware Doctor 4, but have found that it takes a decade to load up on start up and the program options themsleves are slow to respond.

So i thort id switch over to something like spybot, which seems to be everyone's favourite here & looks good.

One thing tho, on the 'Using Spybot S&D tutorial', it mentions a lot about how you can "Immunize Internet Explorer" etc, but nothing about firefox...

And as i use firefox and not IE, this would be a problem...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

There is a prgram called Spyware blaster which blocks cookies and other such malware from gettin onto your computer through the internet it also provides this for monzilla firefox
her is a link http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html You can read what it does and how plus you can download for free

regards
Peter
:thumbsup:

#3 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for that mate, I guess you just overlook the programs further down the list on "Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps" !.

Ive had a look at the guide for spyware blaster and it states "Though this tool will not remove Hijackers/Spyware from your system, it will prevent you from getting infected in the future", so i suppose it helps prevent you from getting infected but does nothing when you are infected...

Is'nt it best to use one that runs in the background kinda thing ??

#4 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:22 PM

Will your right it stops you from gettin infected but does notjing when u do. I have several programs on my laptop which are adaware se professioal u can get a free version adaware se personal here is a link http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html i find this a very good program it dosnt prevent anything but it removes malware andother bad things. Spybot search and destroy you mentioned this one it is a very very good program it prevents and removes alware, adaware and so on. It prevents cookies and so on from internet exploer but not from monzilla firefox thats why i reccomened spyware blaster. here is a link for spybot seach and destroy http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html. Another one i have is windows defender this is an offical free microsoft program it not the best but good here is a link http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
So heres my verdict for you. get spyware blaster tp preveny spyware from firefox, get spybot search and destroy and the other programs if you want. the two i would get would be spybot and adawre se so u can both remove and protect your computer

hope i helped

Regards
Peter

#5 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for that Peter, thats a real help. I find it strange that there are very few anti spyware programs that link in with firefox but there we go! Ill try out Spywareblaster like you said and see how it goes.

cheers :thumbsup:

#6 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

No prb and hope your pc runs smooth for you

regards
peter

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:01 AM

SpywareDoctor is a comprehensive real-time protection program that runs in the background and alerts you or blocks malware before it is downloaded or installed. It is a subscription-based product that comes with a one-year license for database and program updates.

Spybot is basically a scanning tool that can detect and remove malware modules from your computer, check for bad cookies, start page and bookmarks, empty the browser´s cache and history which cleans program and Web-usage tracks from your system. It provides passive protection with Immunization. When you "Immunize", entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks cookies from some sites, places other sites in the restricted zone and blocks the download of selected ActiveX scripts. This feature is similar to SpywareBlaster in that it adds registry entries for bad sites which are then blocked by IE. However, Spywareblaster blocks more sites and offers more control over your settings by letting you add and remove sites easily. Spybot also provides some active protection with Resident SDhelper.dll (a BHO) and TeaTimer (if enabled), a resident system settings protector that monitors changes to certain (not all) critical system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object.

If you want a replacement for the type of protection provided by Spyware Doctor, then you should consider Sunbelt's Counterspy or Webroot Spysweeper both of which offer free trials. IMO, Counterspy is the easiest on resources and the most effective.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thanks quietman7, thats a very useful post.

Basically, I got a free licence for Spyware Doctor, which you can obtain from this page:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/spywaredoctor4/index

See towards the bottom 'get serial code'. (can only do this up until 10/01/2007) (For the US and non Euro formats thats Jan. 10, 2007)

Then once theyve emailed you the code, you can use it in the downloaded program here:

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/download/

However, i found Spyware Doctor, although comprehensive, very slow to load up at start up - it took 2 minutes at the very least and it operated very slow when trying to change options etc.

I was after something real time like spyware doctor, but since listening to peteyg67's advice and installing spywareblaster, I think this pretty much does what I need it to.

Ive also downloaded ad aware to use in conjunction with spyware blaster, to do a scan every week or so just to be safe.

I know there was a lot of good reviews with Spyware doctor, but I found it quite an odd, slow and sluggish program to use.

Westsideg

Moderator Edit: Added clarification to the date format to minimize confusion. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 January 2007 - 03:44 PM.

#9 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hows it working out for ya!!! I found a program that works it partnership along with spyware blaster it protects and spyware guard removes they kinda got da names mixed up http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html i havent ried it but might do what u need it for!!

regards
peter

#10 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

wow thanks peter, thats just what i was after!

Ive installed it now, its a tiny little program, it doesnt drain resources at all while providing real time protection!

I think using this in conjunction with spyware blaster and then adaware to do a scan every now and then pretty much got me covered from all angles !

nice 1,

thanks again :thumbsup:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

You also may want to check out IE-SPYAD

IE-SPYAD users should consider using IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut. The new version uses the free ZonedOut security zones utility from FunkyToad to load and unload Restricted sites lists, making the management of sites in the Restricted sites zone much easier and more convenient...

Note: If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster and IE-SPYAD together, there is an overlap of some of the protection offered. If you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.

Edited by quietman7, 03 January 2007 - 01:24 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

Thanks quietman, that is one i looked into, but as im a firefox user, its not much good to me!

#13 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

wow thanks peter, thats just what i was after!

Ive installed it now, its a tiny little program, it doesnt drain resources at all while providing real time protection!

I think using this in conjunction with spyware blaster and then adaware to do a scan every now and then pretty much got me covered from all angles !

nice 1,

thanks again :thumbsup:

No prb im here to help, As long as you keep all the programs up to date you shoudnt have much trouble

Regards
Peter
:flowers:

#14 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

tbh, you will get very few problems coming through Firefox anyway, its much better than IE in that respect.
Ive got Firefox2 and Spybot and I get very few problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users