Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Strange One! Any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 arraklnid

arraklnid

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

Here's a good one. It's more of a nuisance than a major problem, but I'd like to sort it if anyone can help. When accessing my C drive via START, MY COMPUTER, Local Disk ©, it appears for a few seconds and then the window closes. If I'm quick and can get to the folder or file I'm trying to access, it will sometimes stay open - but not always. If I access the folders via direct links from the desktop, all is fine, the problem only occurs when trying to look at C drive. All other drives/partitions work OK.

C Drive is only 50% full and has been defragged. There are no virus/malware/spyware infections present following lots of helpful advice in the HJT section of the forum. A search of Microsoft and Google came up with nothing. I'm stumped. Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

Here's a link to the HJT logfile thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76153/im-going-crazy-help/

I've seen too many problems with the Norton GoBack software - so I don't recommend using it. Here's a link about how to get around it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74951/how-to-get-around-norton-goback/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

I'm still trying to work out the relevance of that reply. I have never had any problem with GoBack and certainly don't wish to remove it. And if I did what would I replace it with? Windows System Restore is a joke, more often than not telling you it was unable to revert the hard drive to the time requested and without any explanation as to why.

The problem I outlined was present before the installation of GoBack (following a complete uninstall and clean up), so any further suggestions would be welcome.

#4 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

Greetings and happy new year! Question: do you have a "My Computer" icon on your desktop, where you could just click on C: ? See if you have the same problem.

I have some strange things going on as well. Just to test your windows installation, how about going to "add/remove programs" and on the left side, select "windows components". Just see if it allows you to do that, or, do you get an error message that the XP setup program isn't working? Just an idea to check on your XP installation.

Joy
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

There might be some files messed up. A good on-line scanner in this case is this one: http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm You have to use IE for this one as it required ActiveX. There will be a license agreement to sign - note there is no charge for the service. Make sure you select the full system scan in the middle of the page and not the free download trial.

The scan will check your registry, check if you need to defrag, check for malware, and check for extra temp. files. Depending on the situation this may take a very long time. Because this service is a microsoft product, it is quite safe to use in terms of registry changes. I have had no problems with it. It may solve your problem.

Let us know if you try this and if it solves your problem. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Greetings and happy new year! Question: do you have a "My Computer" icon on your desktop, where you could just click on C: ? See if you have the same problem.

I have some strange things going on as well. Just to test your windows installation, how about going to "add/remove programs" and on the left side, select "windows components". Just see if it allows you to do that, or, do you get an error message that the XP setup program isn't working? Just an idea to check on your XP installation.

Joy

Everything is working OK apart from that as outlined. Opening C drive from a desktop icon has the same result though, strangely, if I open a folder located on C drive by using a shortcut on the desktop, and then navigate upwards to open C drive in the same window, it doesn't crash. Like I said, very strange.

I suggest you reinstall XP over the existing. That should replace any missing files. All of your files/folders will remain as is, though you may need to reinstall SP2 if it was a later update. Good luck.

#7 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

There might be some files messed up. A good on-line scanner in this case is this one: http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm You have to use IE for this one as it required ActiveX. There will be a license agreement to sign - note there is no charge for the service. Make sure you select the full system scan in the middle of the page and not the free download trial.

The scan will check your registry, check if you need to defrag, check for malware, and check for extra temp. files. Depending on the situation this may take a very long time. Because this service is a microsoft product, it is quite safe to use in terms of registry changes. I have had no problems with it. It may solve your problem.

Let us know if you try this and if it solves your problem. I have another idea if this doesn't work.

It took 9 hours! But even though it found and sorted a couple of insignificant things, the problem remains. I think I should maybe take my own advice and reinstall XP over the top. I can Ghost it - just in case! What was your other thought?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

GoBack could be causing the problems that you describe. It is a very invasive piece of software that causes many problems on many systems.

As to what to replace it with - there's many alternatives out there. The easiest solution is to use Ghost to image the drive at intervals so that you can go back to a specified day.

The issue with "go back" software is one of construction. The software developer decides what to include in the "go back" routine - and if they choose poorly, the "go back" won't work. This is why System Restore isn't my favorite tool - because it just doesn't work reliably enough!

For example, do a search for files modified within the last day. There'll be lot's of them listed that you haven't done anything to. Which one's should be backed up and which can be safely ignored?

Then, use a registry monitor to track changes to your registry - the same thing will happen.

It's easy enough to backup the registry in a "go back" scenario - but choosing which files that need to go with it is the hard part. One wrong choice on the programmer's part and nothing'll work right.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

GoBack could be causing the problems that you describe. It is a very invasive piece of software that causes many problems on many systems.

As to what to replace it with - there's many alternatives out there. The easiest solution is to use Ghost to image the drive at intervals so that you can go back to a specified day.

The issue with "go back" software is one of construction. The software developer decides what to include in the "go back" routine - and if they choose poorly, the "go back" won't work. This is why System Restore isn't my favorite tool - because it just doesn't work reliably enough!

For example, do a search for files modified within the last day. There'll be lot's of them listed that you haven't done anything to. Which one's should be backed up and which can be safely ignored?

Then, use a registry monitor to track changes to your registry - the same thing will happen.

It's easy enough to backup the registry in a "go back" scenario - but choosing which files that need to go with it is the hard part. One wrong choice on the programmer's part and nothing'll work right.

I feel I need to repeat the fact that the problem was apparent WITHOUT GoBack installed. You obviously have a real problem with Go Back, but I haven't. It's got me out of the proverbial on more than one occasion. As I've already said, I also use Ghost which may sound a bit over the top, but with more than a terabyte of internal/external drives, it's necessary.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

Okay, here is one of my other ideas:

Have your Windows XP installation disk on hand in case you get prompted for it.

Click on Start -> Run. Type in sfc /scannow. Make sure there is a space between the 'c' and the /. Your computer will now check system files for problems and will attempt repair of any damaged ones. If it cannot repair them, it will replace them which is when it may ask for your Windows XP installation disk.

If this doesn't work, my next thought would be a repair install which would keep your data safe. However, I don't know how to do this, so someone else will have to give you the directions for that.

By the way, when you did the Window's One-Care on-line safety scan, did it find registry entries that needed to be fixed or deleted? If so, did you have it do a back-up (I believe this is automatic) and have them fixed?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

May I ask why you've asked for help - when you know more than those who are trying to help you?

While the problem may have existed prior to the installation of GoBack - could it possibly be (even though you already know it isn't) that the GoBack is preventing the fixing of the problem?

Please excuse me while I bow to your superior knowledge - and I will refrain from posting in response to you ever again.

- John
Microsoft MVP Windows - Networking

#12 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

May I ask why you've asked for help - when you know more than those who are trying to help you?

While the problem may have existed prior to the installation of GoBack - could it possibly be (even though you already know it isn't) that the GoBack is preventing the fixing of the problem?

Please excuse me while I bow to your superior knowledge - and I will refrain from posting in response to you ever again.

- John
Microsoft MVP Windows - Networking

Man you have some attitude! If you bother to read my response to Orange Blossom, you'll discover that his advice worked and the problem is fixed. Thanks for your comments anyway.

#13 arraklnid

arraklnid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Okay, here is one of my other ideas:

Have your Windows XP installation disk on hand in case you get prompted for it.

Click on Start -> Run. Type in sfc /scannow. Make sure there is a space between the 'c' and the /. Your computer will now check system files for problems and will attempt repair of any damaged ones. If it cannot repair them, it will replace them which is when it may ask for your Windows XP installation disk.

If this doesn't work, my next thought would be a repair install which would keep your data safe. However, I don't know how to do this, so someone else will have to give you the directions for that.

By the way, when you did the Window's One-Care on-line safety scan, did it find registry entries that needed to be fixed or deleted? If so, did you have it do a back-up (I believe this is automatic) and have them fixed?

Thanks for that. It took some time, but everything is back to normal. I've no idea which file needed repair, I just left the XP CDROM in the drawer and it helped itself. Good advice when needed - just why I came here. Thanks again.

Windows One-Care found a few things that were corrected, but as I said, it didn't solve the problem.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:44 PM

everything is back to normal. I've no idea which file needed repair, I just left the XP CDROM in the drawer and it helped itself.

Great! I'm glad things are back to normal. A scant few months ago I didn't even know about the file checking program (sfc /scannow) :trumpet: . Solving computer problems can sometimes be like hunting for a needle in a haystack. Sometimes the solution is easy and other times complicated. Everybody's system is different.

If you are curious about which file or files were replaced or fixed, you can check in the event viewer. To do this:

Right click on the My Computer icon, then click on Manage on the menu that pops up. The Computer Management console will open. Under System Tools, click on Event Viewer. If there is more than one option under Event Viewer, click on System. You will see various sorts of entries with dates beside them. If you right click on the entry, a little window will open with information about the event. There are up and down navigation arrows on the little windows so you can simply move to the next entry up or down without closing the window. In your case, you will want to find something along the lines of 'such and such file was corrupt' 'attempting repair'.

If it hasn't been said before, Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users