Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posessed Pointer!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Navalaircrewman

Navalaircrewman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

Please help! I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 loaded with XP(sp2). I have the following programs loaded to help with virus and malware. AD-AwareSE, SpybotS&D, Spywareblaster, AVGFree, Ewido Security Suite and Windows Defender. The problem I'm having is the pointer will move either to the lower left (start button) of the screen or the top right corner of the screen. Once there I will try to move it but the pointer acts as if it's being magnatized there. I'll move it and it wants to go back or stick there. Some times I can't tell where the pointer is and moving the mouse or tapping the pad will not do anything. Only after doing this for some time will the pointer reveal itself.
I have ran virus tests and have found nothing. I have looked for installed programs in the add programs section and found nothing strange. I have read on forums that it could be a mouse problem, however that does not relate to me because I did not have a mouse attacthed to the laptop when I noticed the problem. I noticed the problem while viewing a movie with my wife during our stay in Paris. I noticed after some time the pointer would move across the screen from lower left to upper right on its own for no reason. would stop for a few seconds say 20 and then start to do it's unusual flight pattern. during that time I did not have a mouse attached to the laptop. There are no joke pointer programs installed and I ran a program intended to find the Peper Trojan but the result said no Peper files found.
I don't know what else to do. Thank you for your time and please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Drivers are used to help your computer communicate with a specific piece of hardware, and if the driver is flawed or outdate (both very common), the device will either not work properly, or will cause another device not to work properly. Contact the manufacturers of the various devices in your system for their most recent drivers; most are available for free download. Newer drivers can also improve performance and add new features. This is especially true of video drivers; new versions can improve speed and can increase the maximum resolution and color depth of your display. In fact, most visual problems (flicker, mouse cursor problems, and even errant font behavior) can be attributed to buggy video drivers. Although it's a good policy to check with your manufacturer for the most recent drivers on a regular basis, you should only do so if you have the time to spend on it (new drivers may introduce new problems, as well). In other words, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

To find drivers for your Dell computer, start here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=bsd
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Try uninstalling your touchpad drivers and then install the latest version available from the Dell website.

Then try the same with the video drivers.

Dunno if this will help, but I'm going to try it on my wife's system (she's got cursor issues also). :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

Check out;

Cursor out of Control

Cursor jumping around
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card