Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mailwasher

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Charred

Charred

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:58 PM

I have a Windows XP Home with Service pack 2 installed and I am having problems installing Mailwasher (last freeware version). When I click on the 16 bit setup launcher nothing happens. When I try to restart the system I get an end program error "WOWEXEC is not responding" would you like to end this program now? After answering Yes, I get a system error "The request to end the selected 16 bit task has timed out. The Win 16 Subsystem may be unstable. Press OK to terminate the Win 16 Subsystem or Cancel to leave it running." After restarting when I try the same thing again, I get the same problem. How can I install this program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:49 AM

Hi Charred.
There is no single answer to that error message but the most common cause is a corrupt or missing file in the system32 folder. Start by going here. Download and save "XP_FIX.EXE" to your drive then double click to run it.
If you still have the error afterwards, replace the following 4 files in the Windows\System32 folder as well:

ntvdm.exe
ntvdmd.dll
wowexec.exe
wow32.dll

If it still won't work there may be a corrupt .ini file causing it, or an entry within same.
Click Start>Run. Type "sysedit" (no quotes) in the dialog box and hit your enter key. Does the system editor open up? (we'll get into the contents later if it does)

You may also have an application running that may be preventing the install. Temporarily close all running apps, especially anti-virus, anti-malware programs and give the install a try.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Also, SFC.EXE or a repair install should fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Charred

Charred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the link to XP_Fix.exe. :thumbsup: After running this mailwasher installed without a hitch.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:17 AM

You're welcome charred.
Enjoy mailwasher, great program I've used for years myself. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

FWIW - A new program that I'm looking at to replace MailwasherPro (and it's free!): POP Peeper ( www.poppeeper.com ) (their server is down ATM)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

PopPeeper is great! I've used it for years. I use Mailwasher for blacklisting spam in my regular OE accounts. I use PopPeeper for checking my hotmail, yahoo, and Juno junk accounts. (My first ISP was Juno and I've just kept it active, but don't use Juno anymore.)

You can send/receive and all that with PP, but basically I just use it to check those old accounts to keep them active, and then delete any emails that are junk. My ISP (RoadRunner) still has a very small limit for my inbox, so I also use yahoo and hotmail as backup when friends need to send me larger email attachments.

The people at PP are on the ball. When yahoo and hotmail change their protocols, it isn't longer than a day or two before PP has a fix to get it working again.

Edited by mommabear, 02 January 2007 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users