Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Home Networking Issues With 3 Computers (2 Laptops) (1 Desktop).

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chantastic

Chantastic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hi, I have 3 computers in the house. The desktop is a Compaq and the 2 other laptops are Dells. Currently, 2 computers are in the wireless network, one laptop and the desktop, as I can share files and the printer between the 2. The other laptop is supposedly in the network, but I can't access the files from the other 2 computers. All of the computers are in the same workgroup under the same name. I have ran network setup wizard and wireless networking wizard countless of times but to no avail. In viewing the workgroup from the desktop, I can see the computer, but I have no access to its files.Sharing files is enabled on all computers and all run on Windows XP Home with SP2. Windows firewall allows file and printer sharing on all of them. I don't know what to do now. I don't understand why my other two computers connect and the other doesn't. Any new suggestions would be awesomeness. Thanks! :flowers:

Btw, my wireless router is a 2wire 1000w. Pinging the computers may help, but I don't know how to do that. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hi there

This is not a full solution, but your problem did seem familiar, as i had a laptop that was part of the network, with same WORKGROUP name, but i could not share files with it, only use net access. If i remember correctly i checked that all the protocols on each PC/Laptop on the network, were the same.

SO here is my suggestion:

Check the protocols of the laptop and desktop with the laptop having the problem.

Control Panel --->Network Connections ---> Right Click Connection ---> Properties

and you should see the list of protocols installed.

Ensure

File and Printer Sharing
CLient For Microsoft Networks
TCP/IP

are installed and "ticked" on each comp.

I hope you resolve this annoying issue.

Stu
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#3 Max-T

Max-T

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

To Ping
Go to Start --> Run

A box will appear type in CMD
Click Run

Another box will appear. If you already know the IP of your computers type in Ping *INSERT IP ADRESS HERE*

If not find out the IP by either:

1. Reapear the steps but dont type in Ping type in ipconfig/all
or
2. Right click on your little wireless icon in your task tray. hit Status in the menu that comes up, then click the Support tab
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.”- Albert Einstein
“Just because we increase the speed of information doesn’t mean we can increase the speed of decisions. Pondering, reflecting and ruminating are undervalued skills in our culture.”- Dale Dauten

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users