Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Morpheous

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sydman1673

sydman1673

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

How safe is morpheous to use if I am dowloading music? If it is not are there any safer ones to use?
Education is a life long experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

Nope, there are no safe P2P fil,e sharing programs.

But I have found if you download only valid music files (.mp3, etc) you should be fine.

Never download a .exe or .zip, it is very possible they have malware on them. (I learned that the hard way)

Posted Image

#3 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

thanks for the advice. I am just learning about this p2p stuff.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Nope, there are no safe P2P fil,e sharing programs.

But I have found if you download only valid music files (.mp3, etc) you should be fine.

Never download a .exe or .zip, it is very possible they have malware on them. (I learned that the hard way)

Not really..... many of you just download particular file types, but at the same time you don't protect your security.

I download any and every file type there is. I have no problems at all. I do use virus scans to scan my computer and files, and registry programs that monitor and warn if my registry changes.

But the main course of action, which again, many of you don't do, and that's to block ip's from reaching your computer.

Even with .mp3 file extensions, they can be viruses.... and I hope you know it's very easy to change the extension of a file.... Right?... So,,,,, particular file types you download don't protect you at all. It's how serious you are about your (online) security that protects you.

But, I must say, if you are downloading, I'd stay away from programs that help you do so. They are spiked with not only viruses, but also monitoring information. If you use the right tools, you can browse to web sites, download your files (if you're talking about torrents) and use your torrent client to do the rest. The main point is to use protection.

It's like this. You're not avoiding apprehension, you're just preserving your privacy. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Morpheous, iMesh, War3z, and other programs like that, and similar to them are all the types of programs that you really don't want on your computer at all. Even the Napster, (LEGALLY PAID FOR SERVICE), I wouldn't dare install that crap on any of my computers.

More security breaching programs that probably all of you use........ but not me.... are:

Windows Media Player
RealPlayer / iTunes
QuickTime

....... between 1 or all of the programs mentioned above, here is what happens to you when using those programs.

1. Your audio AND video files suddenly don't play any longer.
2. Your burner programs no longer work.
3. Original discs (audio/video) no longer play.
4. Your physical burner (hardware) no longer works.
............ those are the main effects you get when using those programs. Again,,,,, this is all FACTS!!!!!

Every-single one of the 4 problems above I've ever read about..... every single person has used one or more of those programs on a regular basis:
Windows Media Player
RealPlayer / iTunes
QuickTime

...... but as much as time goes by, it seems that people aren't getting to know the known FACTS about those programs....... simply because they keep using them. ...... Oh Well

To this day now, I have never seen a thread on any forum that specifically states that the problems that people are having come from "alternative" programs, when it comes down to audio/video.

If you're a music/movie/program/,,,,, etc..... downloader .... your best bet is to do your research (search engine or from another site), find what you want/need, go to the web site, and if it's a .torrent file, go that route. Those programs that let you search them to get what you want?........... will get you what you don't want. I've used a few of them,,, and it kept me from even wanting to use the others.

So.... although it may have been a long story, there is no safe p2p program, but there is protection when using/doing p2p, than can and does keep you safe.

Again... it's not the file type(s) that gets you infected...... it's what you keep allowing to connect to your computer that gets you infected.

Most of what I post/reply about anywhere here on this site comes from real-life experiences and real-life research that has been done by myself and others. I personally have 6 running computers, but 2 I always use.

Lastly,,,,,, your isp could be putting things on your computer to prevent you from p2p'ing. So again, with the right protection, you can avoid, even them from doing such.

Whatever choices any of you make..... just make the right choices, because it WILL make the difference.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

I work in a computer shop and we find that, if you've got P2P software loaded, you're much, much more likely to be infected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

Here is a list you can use as a guide for clean vs. infected p2p:

Clean/Infected p2p Programs

#7 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

I see that you have limewire as a clean p2p but I had it on my laptop and I got some viruses. Had to reformat my hard drive.

#8 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

But the main course of action, which again, many of you don't do, and that's to block ip's from reaching your computer.[color=#FF0000]

Walkman you have a good point. Maybe you can shed some light on how to block ips from reaching my computer since I am new to this stuff. I checked the tutorials for some tips but may have missed it.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

I work in a computer shop and we find that, if you've got P2P software loaded, you're much, much more likely to be infected.

I will now bow down to you.... :thumbsup: EXACTLY..... usasma

I guess it;s like having other people helping me out, (having more than 1 computer) in my own personal computer experiences that keep me very sharp, dealing with computers. Although I have a Bachelor's Degree in EET (Electronics Engineering Technology).. computers are totally different. But, I'm up on it, no matter what I don't know.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:20 AM

But the main course of action, which again, many of you don't do, and that's to block ip's from reaching your computer.[color=#FF0000]

Walkman you have a good point. Maybe you can shed some light on how to block ips from reaching my computer since I am new to this stuff. I checked the tutorials for some tips but may have missed it.

You didn't miss anything. Many programs (for the most part) won't tell you how to block ip's from reaching you because they want to reach you.

I still have a topic I've created last year entitled "PeerGuardian 2 Users - Please Read", that I've been tweaking out any errors. But I'll post it this weekend... for sure. I've been slow on posting it beore, due to other work I'm doing, but I'll do it for you and everyone here. The topic is well informed, and you'll be better armed at dealing with uninvited ip attempts.

#11 sydman1673

sydman1673
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Sup? walkman did u get to post that topic? for a newbie like me all this stuff is very interesting. Post Asap so I can read it. Thanks

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

Sup? walkman did u get to post that topic? for a newbie like me all this stuff is very interesting. Post Asap so I can read it. Thanks

As a matter of fact, I posted it that night or the next day..... either way... I kept my word on doing such.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=77853&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users