Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

I was recently prompted, via automatic updates, to install the new IE7. This was the SECOND TIME I had fooled with this. The first time I had encountered such problems that I was driven to activate System Restore to rid myself of the program. Against strong misgivings, I stupidly tried the download again. I got an eternal download window, and the inexplicable opening of Webroot Spysweeper for MSN, neither of which I could shut down. Disgusted, I went to bed (yeah, I remained connected to Internet, DSL), fully expecting my pc to be in identical condition the next day. I was right. Again, I was unable to shut off either program using alt/control/delete override. Nor was I allowed to Restart or Turn Off the computer after many attempts to do so. Finally, I was forced to manually shut off. After that, MyBook external hard drive was no longer recognized. After trying several different options, including two System Restores (which at least rid me of any vestiges of the accursed IE7), I had to unplug MyBook from its power source, then from the back of the pc, repower and replug. This got me back to square one again after having had a good deal of frustration. Hopefully I won't encounter further problems down the line.

I don't intend to EVER open my pc up to IE7 again. I don't suppose that this problem is pandemic, my particular difficulty may be unique, but I would like to warn anyone who has not yet "upgraded" to this thing, they may get a monster.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 31 December 2006 - 09:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

I use IE7 and have had no issues with it. IE7 is safe and secure. I hate to say it but most of the time it's the user, not the program.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

IE7 can be removed via Add/Remove Programs/scroll to IE7 and Remove. IE6 will be restored.

There are alot of glitches in IE7,as with any new program.
BTW, it is far from being 'your fault' that there were issues with your install ToborTheGreat.

Have you ever thought of giving Firefox a try?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

Most of the time it may be the user not the program, JB, but it's hard to foul up left-clicking a mouse on a Windows instigated prompt. I'm glad you're moving swimmingly along with IE7, though.

Thanks for the insight, TMack. Yeah, I knew about the uninstall option but, if I recollect aright, there was an instability issue with the first install and I figured restore was my best bet. It served the purpose.

I may check out Firefox. I already have Netscape. I'm more used to IE, but I've learned to adapt in cyberspace.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:10 AM

There seems to be a number of different sorts of glitches with IE7. The various problems that crop up may have to do with the different ways people have their computers configured and what kinds of programs are installed. By the way ToborTheGreat, if a site uses ActiveX, such as Windows update or most Online Scanners, Firefox won't work as it doesn't use ActiveX.

The weird problem I've noticed with mine IE7 is that when I try Print Preview in IE7, all I get is a blank white page instead of seeing the website page. I don't use IE that much, but sometimes there is a website that I want to print, and it doesn't print properly in Firefox.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

Your Welcome ToborTheGreat,

If you download Firefox,still keep Netscape as your default browser.
This way you have a chance to learn about everything Firefox has to offer.

The consensus is that Firefox is safer than IE6 or 7 for that matter.
Try only using IE for updates or browser trouble shooting.

A couple BC tutorials you might find useful;
Switching From Internet Explorer To Firefox and
Enhancing Firefox With Browser Extensions
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users