Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Dial Tone

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thefitter

thefitter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi
I am running windows XP pro with speedtouch modem . When I try to log on I occasionaly get the error message "no dial tone". After two or three attempts it finally logs on . I had this a few years ago and found somewhere a box to untick
which said "wait for dial tone" or something similar . I have searched all over but cannot find where the devil it was . Once this was done end of problem . Can anyone tell me where it is ?
Many thanks
Thefitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

Try this:

Goto Start>Control Panel> click on Phone and Modem Options icon, select your modem, then hit the properties button. There should be a host of tabs there for you to make changes to your modem.

#3 thefitter

thefitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi Walkman
Thanks for the reply . Have tried there but only reference to dial tone is either dial or pulse . I know somewhere there is a option box but just dont know where. It took me ages to find it before and I think it was somewhere you wouldnt have looked (not in the logical place) .Thanks again Ill keep looking

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,098 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

The error message is likely produced by the Modem Event Monitor. At least that is what produces the messages on my computer. I don't know how to disable it because I have a tendency of unplugging the phone line from the surge protector and forgetting I did so; thus, I like the feature.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326681
Disable Dial Tone Detection
If you cannot determine the cause of the "No Dial Tone" error message, it may be possible to work around the issue by disabling the dial tone detection of your modem. To disable dial tone detection:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Phone and Modem Options.
3. Click the Modem tab, click your modem on the list of installed modems, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Modem tab, click to clear the Wait for dial tone before dialing check box, and then click OK.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 thefitter

thefitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi Buddy 215
Have tried that route but there is no modem listed there only in system--hardware--device manager but there is no such checkbox there . Its a Speedtouch 330 external ADSL modem .
Thanks for the try .

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,098 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hmm. Methinks it has something to do with the configuration of your modem. DSL is broadband; thus, I would think that the modem shouldn't even be looking for a dial-tone.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet options > Connections tab. Select Never dial a connection if that option isn't greyed out.

Are you connecting through the USB port or NIC? Have you contacted your ISP to see if it is a line problem? Did you install filters at the phones only? Do you have portable phones. fax machine or home alarm system connected to the same line?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

I was thinking you were on dialup. This could be a perfectly normal thing--just wrong message wording. How much time are we talking about from the time you get the message "no dial tone detected" until your computer recognizes the connection?
If I forget to turn my cable modem on before starting up, I get a message something like No Connection detected and within seconds my computer recognizes the signal. You are not losing your internet connection while using the computer are you?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTouch_330

Common Misconceptions

Although the Speedtouch 330 is used for ADSL Broadband Internet , it does not appear on the user's computer as a LAN or High-Speed Internet Connection, but rather as a Dial-up connection. Users must therefore initiate a dial-up connection every time they want to connect in order to get onto the Internet.

The Speedtouch 330 is in fact a very basic modem , as opposed to a router modem. It can only grant connectivity to one computer at a time, and does not have any built-in features such as IP routing, a firewall, NAT , or WLAN Wireless Internet.

Being a USB modem, and not an Ethernet modem, drivers and software must be installed in order for the Speedtouch USB to work. The absence of an Ethernet interface also means that a Local Area Network, or LAN, cannot be built using this modem, even with the use of a USB capable router or a USB Hub.

How about those apples!!

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

There are three common situations in which the Speedtouch 330 will not work properly. It is easy to determine the nature of the problem by looking at the 2 lights on the front of the modem.

* Two green fixed lights: This means that the modem has synchronized with the exchange and that the user must now dial-up in order to connect fully. When downloading at high speeds the left light generally flashes.

* A fixed green USB light, and flashing green ADSL light. This means that the modem is not synchronizing with the Internet service provider, and is therefore unable to establish a connection. In this case, the user must check several things: (a) contact his or her Internet service provider and verify that his account is active, (:thumbsup: contact his or her telephone company to verify that the telephone line is active, working properly, and that it can support broadband Internet, or © make sure that working ADSL broadband filters are correctly fitted on every used telephone jack in the user's home. This issue can also arise if the modem has suffered a power surge from a thunderstorm or a short circuit. In this case, the modem must be replaced.

* A red USB light, and no ADSL light. This usually means that the modem's software and drivers are not correctly, or at all installed on the computer which it is connected to. The user must install the modem using the CD originally provided with the modem, or download the correct drivers from the Internet. This situation can also arise if the USB port on the computer is not functioning properly, or if the operating system does not support the modem (see Compatibility issues above.)

#12 thefitter

thefitter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the posts . I have been using this modem for about 4 years now and agree with what has been said concerning the modem . It isnt a life or death situation with the no dial tone error more of an annoyance . The thing is I know that somewhere is the option to switch between wait for dial tone or not . As I said this happened about two years ago and then I found it but with some amount of searching. I am just annoyed that i cannot find it now. I think I must have been sat in front of a 15" screen too long.Maybe i should get out a bit more . If at any time I find it I will post the details. Thanks to you all once again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users