Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kids On Planes ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

My friend is having a fit at the thought of her daughter and son-in-law taking her 2 and 5 year old grandchildren to Disneyland on the plane without buying individual seats for the children and using proper child-seats with restraints, etc.

She does have an interesting point - these are needed for a child to ride in a passenger vehicle so why are they not mandatory on airplanes, I wonder?

Just wondering if our members here hold their children on their laps when flying or do they pay for the extra seats?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:43 PM

My friend is having a fit at the thought of her daughter and son-in-law taking her 2 and 5 year old grandchildren to Disneyland on the plane without buying individual seats for the children and using proper child-seats with restraints, etc.

She does have an interesting point - these are needed for a child to ride in a passenger vehicle so why are they not mandatory on airplanes, I wonder?

Just wondering if our members here hold their children on their laps when flying or do they pay for the extra seats?

I don't know US laws,but if it were me MaraM,I would definately buy a seat for the 5yr old,and nurse the two year old.I have made many flights in Jumbo's. When a plane hits an air pocket or turbulence,I believe you could hold onto a 2yr old. A 5yr old to me would be a real handfull,in these circumstances.For sudden air pockets and turbulence,seat belts are a must. A childs safety is more important than saving money,in my opinion.

Edited by DSTM, 01 January 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

The FAA does not require the use of CRS's on commercial airplanes because a mandate would require parents to purchase an extra airline ticket for their child, forcing some families who can't afford the extra ticket to drive, a statistically more dangerous way to travel.

Airlines currently allow children under the age of two to fly free of charge as "lap children," not the safest way for a child to travel.

Quote from here: here.
I checked 6 US based airlines, and not one that I ran across, allowed a 5yr old "lap child". I would like to know which airline does. Yes it's not wise to travel this way, but finances may be a factor. I am not "in" the situation, so it would be unjust of me to make a moral judgement of their parenting skills. I am sure they are making a decision that they as parents have the right to make, given the federal guidelines, in the best interests of their children.

Edited by Animal, 31 December 2006 - 09:12 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

I don't know what airline they plan on flying with but perhaps they simply don't realize that, as you said, Animal, apparently 5 year olds are above the 'hold on seat' limit. Must say that I'm inclined to go for the extra money for a seat even for the very little one, but while it's also true that this would bump the cost of flying with children beyond many parent's means, I agree, it surely can't be the safest thing for wee ones.

I'd honestly never given it too much thought before because I flew on business and when it was for pleasure, the girls were old enough to each need their own seats anyway. But how odd that parents don't realize that even holding a baby when making an emergency landing, the wee one could easily be squished between them and the seat in front. (Wonder why airlines don't offer reductions in child fares as railroads, etc do).

You're right, DSTM - if the plane is going down, it's going down whether one is seat belted in or not. (Huge scary groan). And I entirely agree that trying to hold a child on one's lap would be nearly impossible if one of those sudden and severe air pockets happens - in fact, I think I'll 'gently' suggest to my friend that she could perhaps offer to pay for the extra seats - gentle grin.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

You're right, DSTM - if the plane is going down, it's going down whether one is seat belted in or not. (Huge scary groan). And I entirely agree that trying to hold a child on one's lap would be nearly impossible if one of those sudden and severe air pockets happens - in fact, I think I'll 'gently' suggest to my friend that she could perhaps offer to pay for the extra seats - gentle grin.

I edited that part of my post because I thought it may not have been relevant to the issue(Sorry)

Edited by DSTM, 01 January 2007 - 02:24 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

(Wonder why airlines don't offer reductions in child fares as railroads, etc do).

Most do, if booking ahead, but you must ask! And it must be booked at the same time as the adult fare it cannot be an "added" fare. So it's a "catch 22" for parents. They must do their "due diligence". But as a parent I would think that should be a requirement.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

To think that most airlines offer a reduced fare for children if a parent only knows to ask!! Honestly never knew that and I suspect the majority of parents/grandparents don't - we just look at the listed fares and assume that if the child isn't a baby that fits into the 'free' fare, we must pay the full ticket price. (And I actually used to read the 'fine print' on my tickets, booking info, too - grin!).

Thanks so much, Animal, for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users