Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Installing Blender

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

I've just started using Xandros Desktop Linux, which seems friendly for the most part. However, I'm no aware of how to install programs that aren't packed on the companion CD. I've recently downloaded Blender in a "tar.bz2" file extension. it's my understanding that this is Tape Archive, compressed with bzip2. My Default shell is the BASH. Apparently bunzip2 is NOT availeable in my Version of BASH. I used the shortcut menu to extract the file to "usr/local" where a directory has been created and the blender.exe now resides.

The file does NOT run when I double click it. Is this b/c I have to compile the program or create the necessary dependencies? Is blender NOT compatable with my version of linux?

Any thoughts?

All suggestions greatly appreciated

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:30 AM

i just installed this the same way you did and it runs ok. so i'm thinking you may need to use the other version. there's 2 versions. the static and dynamic. i would say maybe try the other version. if it created a directory then it extracted and installed ok but it may mean that your computer may not be capable of running whichever one you downloaded. or it may mean that xandros may not have correct libraries to run it. i don't know for sure i'm just guessing. but try the other version. which one did you install? static or dynamic?

http://download.blender.org/documentation/...stallation.html

The difference between the dynamic and the static flavour is important. The static build has the OpenGL libraries compiled in. This makes Blender running at your system without using hardware accelerated graphics. Use the static version to check if Blender runs fine when the dynamic version fails! OpenGL is used in Blender for all drawing, including menus and buttons. This dependency makes a proper and compliant OpenGL installation at your system a requirement. Not all 3D card manufacturors provide such compliancy, especially cheaper cards aimed at the gaming market.

Edited by cybormoron, 01 January 2007 - 04:34 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hey I appreciate the info. I should mention that the DYnamic version is up and running on slackware and OpenSuse, so I'm thinking that it's user error within Xandros, I'll let you know when If I can't get it running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users