Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plug-ins For Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

I want to listen to music samples from amazon on Firefox which is my default browser.
This is on a new computer with XP Media Center 2005 OS.
Whenever I click on a sample to listen to I get a popup saying: "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page". When I click on "Install missing plugins", I get "No suitable plugins were found...unknown plugin (Application/x-m player2)"
What does this mean? How do I get the plugin to listen to music on firefox and what other common plugin will I most likely need for other applications (Java, adobe, Quicktime, etc)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

Although you do not reference the site from which the error message arose, I suspect that you need to install a special application, x-mplayer2, to listen to the samples. Look around the site for information about where to download this.
You should have WMP, QT, and Realplayer already installed, as well as Adobe. These are not exactly "extensions" like many of the small ad-ons available to Ff users, but rather stand alone applications that work with any browser.
You will need to download JavaRuntimeEnvironment, since the IE "in-house MS version of Java does not work with Ff.
Here is a link to the list of "plug-ins" needed for Ff, and links to their download:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/plugins/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

John, I'm curious about your reply. If I understand correctly you need a different version of Java for FF.

1st. Is that assumption correct?
2nd. Does that mean I'll have 2 version on my computer at once and no conflicts will develop?
3rd. Thank you for the link, but I don't see any specific FF version?

I use both IE and FF on Win XP Sp2 Home.
Thanks for the clarification in advance.

Floyd

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes and Yes
3. JRE is JRE is JRE, and there is no browser-specific version of it, since it was meant to run on any platform. Now you might have it already installed; if so, there would be a Java Control Panel in your control panel. (IE uses Java Virtual Machine, Ff and many open source applications---you know, the GOOD ones---use JRE).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Thanks. Telling me about the x-mplayer2 extension pointed me in the right direction.
I found this
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213 which goes through an excellent step-by-step fix for this problem.
Apparently this is relatively common.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

What I use is this plugin.
Since than all my media problems are over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users