Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

If anybody has used the store bought version of AVG Internet
Security for home I would like your opinion. It has a anti-virus,anti-spyware,anti-spam, and a firewall. I'm using Nortons now and I'm looking for something else. Need to know soon,it's time for me to renew.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

I haven't used this specific program suite, but my own experience and other people's experience with all-in-one security suites show that such suites are heavy on computer resources and that certain elements are not maintained as strongly as other elements in the suite. These days, I use different applications for the different security components. You can see what I use in my signature. If I were to purchase an AntiSpyware program, I would go with SuperAntiSpyware and eliminate Spyware Terminator from my system.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

I am using Norton 2007 and have had no issues with it. The new version isn't a resource hog, which is good. I personally have not tried AVG Internet Security, but would advise you to stick with Norton. The free programs offer less support and don't give you the best coverage. There are brands besides Norton (e.g. Panda, Zone Labs, McAfee, etc) but those are resource hogs (based on my experience).

--Jess
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

Posted Image

I have stepped away from NIS 2005 and went over to AVG Anti Virus as well as AVG Anti Spyware and Zone Alarm all the the free issues. They work very well for me. Updating is automaticly, it hardly takes any resources and they have kept my PC clean. In combination with Spybot S & D and Adaware Ccleaner and Spywareblaster life is secure on the internet Posted Image

Obviously there are as much anti-malware programs as there are opinions. Jesse Basset has had some good experiance with Norton why wuld he change? My recommendation is to try the AVG free for about a month and than if you still require it upgrade to paid versions.

If you tell us which version we will let you have the removal tools for Norton since it is complicated to remove Norton completely

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

There is debate as to the effectiveness of some of the top anti-virus suites. Read "Why antivirus apps from Symantec, McAfee and Trend Micro do not work"

...The most popular brands of antivirus on the market...have an 80 percent miss rate So if you are running these pieces of software, eight out of 10 pieces of malicious code are going to get in...the actual reason why the top selling antivirus applications don't work is because malware authors are specifically testing their Trojans and viruses to make sure they can bypass these applications before releasing them in the wild...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

There is debate as to the effectiveness of some of the top anti-virus suites. Read "Why antivirus apps from Symantec, McAfee and Trend Micro do not work"

...The most popular brands of antivirus on the market...have an 80 percent miss rate So if you are running these pieces of software, eight out of 10 pieces of malicious code are going to get in...the actual reason why the top selling antivirus applications don't work is because malware authors are specifically testing their Trojans and viruses to make sure they can bypass these applications before releasing them in the wild...

I agree with one of the comments on that site:

"Where is the proof? The stats, the charts, etc? Until I see them, I say this is only a classic case of "the sky is falling" paranioa BS....."
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users