Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fitting A New Power Supply Unit.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cyclops

cyclops

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

Hi all, first of all, have a very Happy New Year and a prosperous one, and may all your problems be small ones including your pc problems, like this one of mine, but for which I still need some guidance.

I want to replace my power supply, I think the one I have in now is getting a bit old in the tooth.

What is the best one to buy wattage wise, and are the voltages the same with all the standard power supplies.
Is it just a case of taking out the old one and fitting the replacement, making sure that all the right plugs.
sockets etc go back in the same postion as the old one, so there shouldnt be any adjustments needed to the settings?

its a HEINZ 57 pc made up from second hand parts some 2 years ago, but the mother board is quite a goodun. ATHLON K7S5A/XP WITH AN AUTHENTIC 1244 Mgz processor.

Thats it really. sounds easy enough, but I would like to know if theres any unforseen problems which might turn up.

Thanks a lot guys and dolls. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

I prefer PC Power and Cooling power supplies - but they are more expensive than most.

I prefer PC Power and Cooling power supplies - but they are more expensive than most.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

I usually use Cooler Master, but John's right - PC Power and Cooling is top notch.

In order to change a power supply, you have to know what you need. No sense replacing a 250 watt PS with a 600 watt replacement.

If this is a Dell or other major-branded computer, you need to find a proprietary replacement. They won't take a standard power supply. If it's more of a homemade job, then you need to know what type - probably ATX. (If it's AT, they're getting pretty hard to find, and there isn't a lot of choice.)

So, open it up and take a look. Most power supplies these days have a set of plugs for SATA drives, and a 12-volt 4-prong plug for processor power, in addition to molex plugs for CD and hard drives. Chances are you don't need SATA or PCI Express plugs, and possibly not even the 12-volt plug, but it doesn't hurt to have them as long as you can bundle them out of the way without blocking too much air movement.

The main power plug for older computers is a 20-pin. Newer ones use 24-pin. But the last four pins are removeable for a 20-pin plug.

Be careful and use safe handling techniques. Make sure the computer is unplugged before you touch anything inside. Then, make sure that you touch the metal case before touching anything, as static electricity from your body can quickly destroy any electronic component.

Be aware that the plugs for the mainboard and the 12-volt only fit one way, and that they have a release latch that needs to be depressed to get them out. Wiggle molex plugs from the drives to remove them. If there's a floppy drive, it needs to be pushed away from its latching plate slightly then pulled loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users