Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting into safe Mode without using F8?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mommie_geek

mommie_geek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:08 AM

Is it possible to boot Windows 2000 into safe mode without using F8?

We have several remote locations that we troubleshoot/service computers for. It has been an hour now and the users at this location are finding it somehow impossible to boot into safe mode by hitting F8.

So is there anyway to do this from a command prompt within Windows or anything like that? The users at this location are completely computer illiterate, and the location is a five hour drive away, so visiting it is out of the question.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pbull221

pbull221

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:25 AM

Unless they can figure out how to press f8 fast enough the only other way I have found is to edit the boot.ini. Google it and you can add a switch that is put in place when pressing f8. http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1268/ is a good place to start but if they are so bad (or slow) that they can't press f8 then you may want to be VERY careful walking them through copying, then editing this file.

good hacking...

pbull221

#3 mommie_geek

mommie_geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

Well we actually use VNC to remotely access the computers, so this might be a possibility. I will look into it.

Thx

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:50 AM

I can only speak for Win98, but try this: Go to Start>Run then type MSCONFIG then hit the OK button. You should get a screen for System Utility Configuration. Then hit the Advanced button which should give you another screen titled Advanced Troubleshooting Settings. Find the box for "Enable Startup Menu" and check it. Click OK a couple of times and you'll be asked to restart. On the next startup you should get a black screen with white letters which lets you choose a number of start options including Safe Mode. And note you will get that black screen on startup forever until you go back and uncheck the box previously checked. Hope this helps.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:53 AM

Found a Microsoft KB on your problem:

"Safe mode may not work in these situations:
A mass storage driver (SCSI or IDE) is damaged or has been accidentally removed.
The Ntoskrnl.exe or Hal.dll file is damaged.
A program replaced system files that are critical to the operation of Windows."

Found that here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

WHy not read our tutorial on booting into safe mode?

It will give you the details.

I just keep hitting f8 over and over very fast till that screen comes up.........

Hope this helps

#7 mommie_geek

mommie_geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:19 AM

WHy not read our tutorial on booting into safe mode?

It will give you the details.

I just keep hitting f8 over and over very fast till that screen comes up.........

Hope this helps

I know how to boot into safe mode. :( Most users that I run into know how to boot into safe mode or have the ability to hit the F8 key when they are supposed to.

Unfortunately, those in this location seem to have an inability to hit the F8 button quickly enough or in rapid enough succession to get the computer to go into safe mode.

We do however have a means of remotely accessing the PCs, so I was looking for files that could be edited, a boot disk that could be made, etc that would allow me to remotely restart the computer and have it automatically boot into safe mode; or at least to automatically bring up the Advanced Menu options menu without needing to hit F8 because: this location. Just. Doesn't. Get. It. :huh: :thumbsup:

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:23 AM

CGM: My six year-old Compaq has never let me get into Safe by using F8 (altho it will boot into BIOS using F10) so I had to learn another way as mentioned above. I leave that box in Advanced Troubleshooting checked and get the black "choice" screen at every start just to be certain I can get to Safe if I can't boot to Normal. The thing times-out and boots to Normal if I don't tell it otherwise in about 20 seconds, so it's no bother. Compaq, the gift that keeps on giving. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:47 AM

If thats what you are looking for you can find it here. "Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File"

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users