Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*.mpg Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:36 AM

When I try to play an *.mpg file in Win Media Player I get a small message at the bottom of the screen saying that it is trying to locate a codec server. If I am off line at the time then that is the end of it, but of course the *.mpg file never plays. If I am on line it seems to find some sort of site, then the word ""Error"" flashes by and the file begins, but it is only sound.........no picture at all.
This just occured a few minutes ago........(rebooting didn't help) prior to that, I had no trouble playing these files.

HELP

and

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

WElcome to BC JXBlack!

First a few questions :

You mean Windows Media Player? which version?
Which Windows do you have XP?Home?

As a first step please download Gspot here Install and via the browse button left top go to the file and click render. If possible post a screenshot of what you get with Gspot.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Can you do a system restore?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

Many Thanks for your kind reply.

I have windows media player version 10 and I have XP Pro.
I have downloaded and run G Spot. I noticed in the upper right hand corner that it says "Codecs are installed"??

I don't know how to post a screen shot. I will try to google my way thru it. Please forgive if my replies are slow. Their was an earthquake off Taiwan a few days ago and it has badly disrupted our web speed.

I have a program called VLC. It is a video player. I just tried the *.mpg file that will not play in WinWedia Player and it seems to play fine.

Thanks again for you help.

#5 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

#!
To: Wildebeast

Due to the crashed Internet out here I used all but 1 very recent restore points. I tried it but it didn't help.

to: fozzie

Sorry.......I have managed to get a screenshot of G Spot but I can't figure out how to paste it here. Do you know how this can be done?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:15 AM

Did you install any new software recently? In particular, any new video related software? I had the same problem once when I installed some video conversion software. After I uninstalled it the problem went away.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 JXBlack

JXBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

Yes.......same problem.........same solution
I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to convert VCD to DivX and installed 5 or 6 Video conversion programs. After I un installed them........the problem went away. So, I'm back where I started....can't convert ???(any ideas) but, at least I can now I can play *.mpg films again.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

Did you try any of these

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users