Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After A Virus, Unable To Access A Computer's Shared Folders Over The Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vershaxx

vershaxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

I got a trojan the other day that installed a spyware program called Spy Sheriff. There was much cursing and swearing, but after my trusty version of AntiVir as well as a plethora of spyware programs I managed to clean the system of all viruses and spyware as far as I know.

My troubles didn't end for long. Next I got a (fairly common) problem where it says "services.exe has bleeped up. Error code 203. Rebooting your computer in 1 minute" or something along those lines. I googled a bit and found that this is often associated with registry keys not matching your actual network setup. Anyhow, I ran a registry cleaner program and THAT problem seemed to go away.

Now however, my network is all bleeped up.

My setup is as follows: Two home computers plugged into a router that is hooked up to my DSL modem. One computer is called Office, the other is called Bedroom.

The printer is hooked up to Office, and is shared. Both computers have a few shared folders that the other can access.

After I ran the cleaner, Bedroom is no longer visible on the network. Office can't see it in the workgroup, and I can't access any shared folders. I CAN ping both computers using the IP addresses, but each computer can't ping the other using the computer's name. Each computer can ping itself using both its own IP and name.

Here's an interesting thing I just found too; when I open my computer as it should appear on the network by typing \\Bedroom\ into the address bar of windows explorer (using the bedroom computer), I can see the shared folders and printer devices. However, when I double click on any of the folders to open them it says "access denied" with an error message about contacting my administrator.

Office can access its own shared folders fine, so I am fairly confident that the problem is isolated to Bedroom (the one that got the virus before)

So that's weird. I can't even access the shared folders on Bedroom when typing Bedroom's name into the address bar.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

Here's the dialog box I get when I try and access a shared folder:

Posted Image

I called it bedroom in the post so it was easier to follow. It's actually called "Brett" on the network. Replace all instances of "Brett" with "Bedroom"

Here's my hijackthis log. I'd really appreciate if anyone can help.

Thanks

=============================
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:13:29 AM, on 12/31/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTXFIHLP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CTXFISPI.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDCountdown\LCDCountdown.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDPop3\LCDPOP3.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDClock.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Utilities\G15 stuff\BF2G15Mod\BF2 LCD.exe
C:\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Profiler\lwemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS WiFi-AP Solo\RtWLan.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KhalShared\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CADI\NotiMan.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\utilities\hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RCSystem] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" RCSystem * -Startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LCDMon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LCDMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BF2 G15 MOD] "C:\Utilities\G15 stuff\BF2G15Mod\BF2 LCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Version Cue CS2] "C:\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Registry Fixer] C:\Program Files\Rgistry Fixer\Registry Fixer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Ssne] "C:\PROGRA~1\SMANTE~1\rundll32.exe" -vt yazr
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Start WingMan Profiler] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Profiler\lwemon.exe" /noui
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FastInternet] "C:\Program Files\AceLogix\Fast Internet\FastInternet.EXE /Q"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ASUS WiFi-AP Solo.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Sothink SWF Catcher - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {74CD40EA-EF77-4BAD-808A-B5982DA73F20} - http://yax-download.yazzle.net/YazzleActiveX.cab?refid=1123
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winjjq32 - winjjq32.dll (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS2 - Unknown owner - C:\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe" -win32service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - AVIRA GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LG - Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com - C:\DOCUME~1\Brett\LOCALS~1\Temp\LG.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Microsoft authenticate service (MsaSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msasvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:25 AM

Well I am no HJT expert and know nothing about the log but I would say you can't connect due to a DNS issue.

This could be the router not supplying the DNS ip address to the clients when DHCP is enabled. This would tie in with the fact you can't ping the name just the IP.

Try connecting using the IP address of "Bedroom"
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Test2\

And see what happens
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:55 AM

Try this post by Grinler to ensure you have the sharing set right: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76551/xp-file-sharing-2-machines-wont-talk/

If it still doesn't work, I'd suggest posting your HJT log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users