Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Brand Of Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kristamoo

kristamoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

i want to buy a new computer but not sure what's the best brand? i would like to customize it but not sure what i need to keep me updated as long as possible?any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

it doesn't matter too much, look at the specs of the systems from the different companies and see which one has what you want.

I would try to stay away from Dell and Compaq though.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

I gave up on store bought computers. They seldom have a very good power supply,cooling fans,cpu cooler, ect. I now go to my Intel dealer and pick the things I want and the quality and have them build it. You could do the same with a AMD dealer.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

Dont do dell lots of issues with customer support if there are problems

Hewlett/Compaqard decent machines if you spend over 1000 for the tower

all still have small power supplies (300 watt is the largest), the weak point if you want to put in a better graphics card

gateway/emachine small power supplies, emachine small case hard to expand

gateway probably has the best off the shelf machines.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

I agree, Gateway is probably your best bet, with HP running a close second. But, since a PC is so easy to build on your own - why not try that?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

Building your own can be easy... for a lot of us... but knowing what to buy and what you need to do to get it working can be hard. For some people, its probably best to buy one premade with a warranty and stuff.

I have a friend who bought all the parts, but didn't do his homework and bought a motherboard made exclusively for SATA hard drives and only had one IDE port for cd rom or something and he already bought a nice IDE 120gig hdd. I ended up building it for him and putting his cdrom drive and hdd on one ide cable and there has been a lot of boot issues and stuff although it does work.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:47 AM

In terms of brand names, you're really paying for value and support. An OEM may offer excellent deals with crappy hardware. On the other hand, I've seen some OEMs use very good parts and put them together immaculately...with a huge markup in price. The best cost-effective way to get a computer is to build it yourself, but technical support can be tricky. I went with Velocity Micro when I bought my PC a few months ago, I've been very satisfied. A reasonable price with good support is key.

3939.png

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have a friend who bought all the parts, but didn't do his homework and bought a motherboard made exclusively for SATA hard drives and only had one IDE port for cd rom or something and he already bought a nice IDE 120gig hdd. I ended up building it for him and putting his cdrom drive and hdd on one ide cable and there has been a lot of boot issues and stuff although it does work.

That's why we're here! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users