Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

i just brought a 256mb ddr ram card. when i go and plug it into the computer (it has a 512mb ram card already installed) and turn the computer on nothing loads, the motherboard logo and stuff like that doesnt show up at all, yet when i unplug it everything works fine. can anybody help me with this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hi milzee.
Although it is not required, it is always best to install ddr in matching sizes and specifications for maximum performance. If you're mixing memory, it is possible your system requires a certain module to be placed in a specific slot. If you have only two banks, switch them.
To nail the issue, we need to know you're system make and model and also the specs on your new memory.
The info will be stamped on both modules and should be identical "spec" wise. (i.e. cas, ecc, etc)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

Is it the right kind of ram (DDR, DDR2)? Also are they running at a supported speed (megahertz) of your motherboard??
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

Some things to consider:
1) Is it properly plugged in?
2) Is it compatible with your current system? Check the manufacturer's website to see what RAM is certified for your system.
3) Is the stick bad? You can check this by putting it in another system (or putting it in place of your current stick if it's compatible)

Edited by usasma, 31 December 2006 - 01:48 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users