Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Stop Working...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lance_03

Lance_03

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hey everyone, my motherboard quit out of nowhere.... i dont know what caused it. one day i moved the mouse and it shut completely off. there was no power to the board it seemed. no led lights came on. so i checked my psu (power supply) i jumped it and it ran fine and i checked voltage and was perfect. the thing was i found out was the north bridge began to get very hot when attempted to turn on and no fans or lights would come on. so i went out and bought a new motherboard (same one) ( ECS, N Force3-A, HT1600, socket 754) i put my processor in my new board and it fires up but does not post.i had hooked up the minimum hardware needed ( ram, video card, keyboard) i also hooked up the speaker for sound errors and that is as far as i got . i get one long beep about 1 second long. i get no video on monitor. normally i thought there was only two beeps, one for ram and about 3 for video card evrything else should be after video card takes effect an displayed. but i checked the ram and changed them out with various kinds. still it does the same thing and gives a beep even when no ram is in it. i dont think the processor is bad because it turns on and gives a beep normally i get nothing when a processor is dead. if anyone could give there imput in what they think it is, i would appreciate it alot. thank you.

-Lance-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hey, same motherboard I have. In fact, I liked it so much, I named myself after it ;) ...I guess... Good overclocker though...

Anyway, this is a good motherboard and pretty forgiving for all the torture I put it through.

It could be possible that your old one broke and now you just bought a dead one. The reviews on newegg.com say that a LOT of people got DOA ones. If you buy a working one though, its a great board.

I think it uses Phoenix bios and to my knowledge, there is not a beep code that has only 1 beep. Which makes me thing that it could be just a dead board or bad bios chip. The closest beep code to that usually means ram problems... but you have already tried that... And this board is really good with ram. It even supports high-density ram.

Don't discount the fact that it could be a cpu problem though...

I suggest to keep tweaking and fiddling with it (reseating things, trying different hardware, etc). Also, if you can, try a different cpu or put your cpu in another socket 754 mobo to see if thats the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users