Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

When I right click on a folder in "My documents" I get a drop down menu which provides a "Send to" option.Is there any way to add this option to the Outlook Express right click drop down menu? TYIA, mchaggis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

You are going to have to explain what it is you are trying to accomplish airaced57.

The easiest way to e-mail something from My Documents,is to left click it once,and from the menu on the left side of the screen,choose E-Mail this File.Then Outlook Express will open with the file attached and ready to be addressed to the recipient.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hi TMacK,
I am trying to speed up a friend's pc. He has files in his "Sent items" in Outlook Express that date back to 2002. I want to save them to a floppy hoping that would alleviate the situation so I wondered if I could do so through using the "Send to" option such as is available in the drop down menu when in My documents".
My friends is in his late 80s stubborn as a mule and dead set in his ways. He will not accept any other means of my saving his files and has his mind set on using a drop down menu.
I may be way off base, but I believe all his files in OE are a contributing factor in the slowdown in his computer.
If what I an asking is not possible, please let me know and I will attempt to try other means of solving the problem. Thanks, mchaggis

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

I use Thunderbird,but lets we if we can make this work in Outlook Express too.

Try right clicking on the message header in OE,the message will probably be open,header highlighted.
Choose Save As and navigate to an existing folder,or one that you have created for these e-mails.
When you find the folder,click Save.
You will still have to manually delete the e-mails from OE after saving them to a folder.

Hope it works!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

Thanks TMacK but I tried that only to learn he has already done this so, in essence he has four years worth of files in his "Sent items:" as also has the identical amount in his folders files. I think I will have to pull a quicky on him and delete all his duplicate files one day while he is having his afternoon nap. Appreciate the help. Cheers, mchaggis

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/outlook-e...s.htm#archiving
If your Outlook Express folders are getting pretty full. Here is how you can empty the folders while saving the valuable message:

1. Run Outlook Express
2. Select the folder you want to save.
3. Click Create Mail and enter a name for your backup in the Subject line.
4. Drag all the messages you want to save from the selected folder into the new mail message.

Note: You can use Ctrl + A to select all the messages. Dragging the messages to the new mail message will attach all the files to the new message.

5. Choose File/Save As
6. Locate a folder for your file and click Save.

* Now, you can double-click your new file to read any of the saved messages.

Once you have saved the messages you can put them on a floppy.

Edited by buddy215, 30 December 2006 - 07:19 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Buddy215, Will give it a try in the morning before the old gent gets his brain out of neutral.. Cheers,mchaggis.

#8 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Buddy 215,
It worked. mchaggis,

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

You are welcome. Incidentally, I tried the instructions for the first time last night. I was impressed at how simple and fast it was. Deleted a bunch of email files and my email program opens much faster. So, I should thank you,too for causing me to look for this solution. Thanks
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users