Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safemode Problem Viewing Entire Program

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kathoderayblue

kathoderayblue

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi! I am trying to run an antispyware program in safemode (Windows XP). I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. I cannot see the entire program, it runs off the edges of my screen. So I cannot check or uncheck boxes I can't see! Has anyone had this problem? Is it that my screen is too small because I have a laptop?

Thank you, I am a first time poster here & am looking forward to reading your advice & tutorials in the future.

Kathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer :thumbsup:

Firstly to answer your questions

No
No
And no

First and foremost, What resolution is your screen at in REGULAR window mode, because if its greater than (and I think this is default) 800x600 then you're in trouble

See when going into safemode, Windows reverts the resolution back to the default , as if you had just freshly installed windows with no drivers, So if you're normal resolution in windows is say 1200x1000 (just making that up) and your scanner program is used to that setting, When you go back to 800x600 or whatever the default it, it keeps its size

Have you tried to minimize it or attempted to resize it, Or does it take up the entire screen?

hope to hear back :flowers:

#3 Xtr3me

Xtr3me

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Also, I know this is farfetched, but this happened to my teacher at school. He had a projector software installed, so his programs were opening up in another monitor that was for the projector to see only. Make sure you set your projector software up to match your default resolution.

Anyways, if you dont, then sorry, like I said..farfetched..
Posted Image
Currently Studying: HTML
Coming Soon for me: Flash Website Designing

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

That's like wayyyy out there man :thumbsup:

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hi! I am trying to run an antispyware program in safemode (Windows XP). I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. I cannot see the entire program, it runs off the edges of my screen.

Which anti-spyware program are you trying to run in Safe Mode? It is not your screen size that is causing the problem. Program windows invariably appear larger in Safe Mode than in Normal mode because of the difference in screen resolution.

A-squared is the only one that I have found impossible to scan with in safe mode without using the command version which I haven't tried yet. Some programs may be a tad large for the screen in Safe Mode, but I am able to move those in order to get to the buttons I need.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 kathoderayblue

kathoderayblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:23 AM

Thank you for all your responses.

What I did was to open the program in Normal Mode & take a look at it. By the way the program is called AVG Anti-Spyware. I could see that the boxes on the left we all checked in Normal Mode, and that was what I WANTED, so I didn't need to do any changes when in Safe Mode. I was able to run the scan this way!

But Cherry Blossom mentioned moving the program on the screen to get to the buttons. This is what I cannot figure out how to do in Safe Mode. If you know how, could you tell me? If not, if it's just that the programs are just too big to see in entirety in SafeMode, you'd think the designers would keep the buttons more inside, since many times, these types of programs are run in SafeMode.

But I'm really just a beginner, so what I'm saying may or may not make sense!

Thanks again,

Kathy

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,711 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:36 AM

Hello:

I always set up the configuration of the scan in Normal Mode. For AVG anti-spyware, all I need to do in safe mode is click on Scan Now and then Complete System scan. When it is finished, sometimes what I will do is hit Cntrl+Alt+Del to call up the Taskmanager which also reveals the task bar. I can then right click on the AVG thing in the bar in order to close it. I don't think I've actually had to jiggle this one in order to get to the few buttons I needed. Do I interpret your post correctly that you were able to do the scan for AVG AntiSpyware in safe mode?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

1) Change the resolution of your screen or video adapter (if possible)
2) Use "WinScroll" - a program that will allow you to scroll outside the edges of the screen. It's primarily written in Japanese - but the controls are simple. Also, there are English versions available. Try google - it's your friend.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

I have the same problem with AVG Kathy.

It runs off the screen just enough to where I can not get the cursor to the buttons . I do not have that problem with any other program.

It looks like if I follow orange blossom's instuctions the problem will be solved.

Dennis :thumbsup:

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

Do you have a button on your monitor to adjust things? That's all I do to move things around if I need to get to an option button that's off the screen. It's usually just a matter of going horizontal or vertical a bit. I make note of my original settings to put them back when I'm out of safe mode.

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

Do you have a button on your monitor to adjust things? That's all I do to move things around if I need to get to an option button that's off the screen. It's usually just a matter of going horizontal or vertical a bit. I make note of my original settings to put them back when I'm out of safe mode.

Well I be darned. Sure do. I was wondering what those buttons were for. :thumbsup: They move it just enough. Thanks.

Kathy this may be the answer for you also.

Dennis :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users