Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot In Xp | Bluescreen!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

I boot up my computer, to go to the screen where it gives me 5 choices to start his computer: start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last good known configuration, etc. No matter which one I choose though, they all give me the same result. I see the windows logo with the bars loading up XP but shortly after that I get a Blue Screen of Death for about a second (not long enough for me to see the error), then it goes back to the Boot options I listed above.

I have been searching like crazy and I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

I am using a Compaq Presario, and my computer didn't come with a XP CD, it has like a built in recovery thing :trumpet:

But, I tried using a CD from this computer, and I was able to to boot from it and such. But it won't let me repair, it doesn't recognize any Windows installed already, just lists the partions and which I want to install on...

:thumbsup:

I found a guide very similar to the one linked to above and it says,

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

I tried the chkdsk commands as well. the first time I did chkdsk /r and it repaired one thing. I tried chkdsk /p, but all it tells me is the size of the partion and stuff....

Any ideas?

I don't know why this happened... I was just browsing the interenet last night when I got a blue screen, and ever since I haven't been able to boot... :flowers:

My brother did say he installed a "crack" version of a plug in for photoshop, but that was in the morning... and this happened late last night, around mid night... Is that the cause?

Or could it be my hard disk? For the past couple months I get the S.M.A.R.T. message when I boot about how my status is bad, but I still get that message when i try now and it still says bad, not imminenet failure or w/e...

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Edited by killer_kyle, 30 December 2006 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

Or could it be my hard disk? For the past couple months I get the S.M.A.R.T. message when I boot about how my status is bad, but I still get that message when i try now and it still says bad, not imminenet failure or w/e...

This is not a good sign. The whole reason for SMART is to warn you of impending doom.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

I would take the hard drive and slave it into another machine. See if you can access the data in an attempt to save your data.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 30 December 2006 - 03:43 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

A little background information on S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting,Technology).
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the replies, but is it my hard drive that is causing this problem? It still says capable, but status is bad....

This is not a good sign. The whole reason for SMART is to warn you of impending doom.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

But wouldn't I have to be able to boot to run any of those?

I would take the hard drive and slave it into another machine. See if you can access the data in an attempt to save your data.

Yeah, i have an older comp lieing around, mabye I could put it in there and copy the main files I need. Then put it back in my comp and reformat? The only thing is I have no idea how to do this and I don't want to mess up either computer....

Anyways, any suggestion on how to actually boot up my pc?

Posted Image

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, but is it my hard drive that is causing this problem? It still says capable, but status is bad....

If the SMART status of the drive reads bad then you need to replace the drive.
Drives often go bad without so much as a SMART failure warning, so if you're getting a warning your drive is definitely going faulty.

[snip hard drive diagnostics]

But wouldn't I have to be able to boot to run any of those?

Those diags don't run in Windows, they run from their own bootable media, either floppy or bootable CD image.

Yeah, i have an older comp lieing around, mabye I could put it in there and copy the main files I need. Then put it back in my comp and reformat? The only thing is I have no idea how to do this and I don't want to mess up either computer....

Anyways, any suggestion on how to actually boot up my pc?

You wouldn't mess up the other computer if you put in your main computer's drive as a secondary and try to recover the data. If that's even possible, the data may already be lost. In any case, you basically will have to replace that drive and install a fresh copy of Windows.
Posted Image

#6 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

Ok, so sounds like my hard drive is the problem here...

So I just download one those diagnostic things and burn it to a CD?

I got a Samsung HD, I'll go check it out.

How much will a new HD cost me? I just spent 80 bucks on a enw gfx card, now I have to go buy another piece of hardware >.>...

Posted Image

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:04 AM

Not long ago I bought a Seagate 320GB drive for about $100 off of newegg. Shouldn't be too hard for you to find something to your liking.
Posted Image

#8 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

Ok, well I tried buring the HUTIL to a CD, and I was not able to boot off it.

I opened up my comp and the other one, and I have no idea how to get one HD into a another one.... both have different kinda of cables coming out of um.... too confusing...

Is there any way to save the files I have on my comp?

Posted Image

#9 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

Another option, if you can afford it, is to perform a fresh install of windows on a new hard drive. You can use your previous drive as a secondary and get all the files off of it you need. Then if necessary you can do the reverse if you want your previous drive back as primary.

Could this work for me?

And would I be able to copy programs into the new HD? Like say Photoshop, since i don't really feel like buying it again :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

To slave this drive in another computer, simply remove the drive. Change the jumper to 'slave'. Then as you install it into the second computer you need to hook up a power cable and then the data cable. Most data cables have three connectors - one goes into the motherboard, and the one in the middle of the cable is for the slave drive. The third connector (on the end of the cable) plugs into the master drive. Then boot up the computer. Windows will probably automatically recognize the new slave and will install any drivers needed, although a reboot might then be needed. If that is the case reboot, and then you will be able to get into the new slave drive by going to Start > My Computer.

More info can be found all over the internet, or you could always ask for more info here at BC. Here is one site to get you started:

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

My Samsung HD doesn't look like that though. That big wide cable thing (IDE is what it is called i think) isnt connected to my hard drive... It goes through the CD drives.... I'm confused.

Here are some pics, hopefully these can help you help me. :thumbsup:

On top are the DVD-ROM and CDRW drives. They have that big gray cble in them. On the bottom, the black drive, is my HDD. It doesn't have any big wide gray cable in it.
Posted Image

This pic is a close up of my HDD. One the cables plugged in says P10, if that helps any.
Posted Image

Close up of the CD drives. There is that big wide cable in both of them.
Posted Image

One of the cables from the HDD plugs right in to the mother board.
Posted Image

A closer look at the cables from the HDD.
Posted Image

The machine I want to slave this HDD into. It has the big gray cable from it, like the guide you gave me describes.
Posted Image

Hopefully you understand my problem now. I dont know how I am going to do this. I'm going to buy a new HDD, but I really want to save my data on this one. :flowers:

Posted Image

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Well, your possibly defective hard drive is a Serial or SATA drive, and it doesn't look like the working computer can handle it. It is set up for Paralel drives (PATA).

I could be wrong, as I can't completely tell from your picture. Look at your SATA drive. Do you see the red cable that is about 7/8" wide at the connector to the hard drive? That is the data cable. Now look at the type of connection it requires at the motherboard. Then look at your other computer and see if that motherboard has those types of connectors (controllers) on it. If not, then you will not be able to hook up this SATA drive to that computer. If so, however, it will be a breeze. All you need to do it plug in the data and power and reboot. No setting 'slave' and 'master' jumpers needed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#13 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

Darn...

There is no controller there.

So, I have a SATA drive?

Does it matter if I replace this with a external HDD? Or would a SATA internal be better?

And do I have any way of saving my data now? Would it be possible to install a new HDD and put a fresh install of windows on it then have my old/current one as a secondary, then copy my files and stuff?

Posted Image

#14 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5020145

Woould this be a good replacement?

EDIT:

Whats the difference between

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3683765?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5020145

?

Edited by killer_kyle, 31 December 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

Just FYI, you can get SATA controller cards to fit into the PCI slots on your motherboard. This will let you use the SATA drive on a non-SATA equipped motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users