Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watching Someone Else's Live Internet Browsing, After Using Their Internet Connection ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Location:Non-exotic city of Leicester from the Land of Hope & Glory
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

After watcing a recent "The Real Hustle's" episode, I wonder how exactly is it for them to do what they did.

They used someone's else's unsecured wireless network by having their laptop within its range. I myself use the similar unsecured wireless network myself & allow my nephew to use my wireless network to browse Internet (who only lives 3 houses next to me).

Now, in "The Real Hustle", they showed that it wasn't JUST possible to use someone else's bandwidth & browse Internet on their own laptop, but ALSO were able to see exactly the website other person is browsing at that very moment & could see this other person's mouse movement & keyboard stroke, etc. ....... LIVE.

How exactly could this be possible, since so far, my understanding was that me allowing my nephew to use my bandwidth could ONLY be used by him to browse the Internet but NOT to see my "LIVE browsing".

Could anyone enlighten me further towards it ???
Nope, I'm NOT God, but I'm British (which is the next best thing ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

I'd be more concerned about the other folks out there, not necessarily your nephew. My brother who is a real security whiz told me never to get wireless. He said that while it is convenient for the user, it makes it really easy for the "big bad wolves." There are ways of making wireless connections more secure, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Here are links to some articles that discuss wireless security:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security
Discusses some of the security problems with wireless

http://techdir.rutgers.edu/wireless.html
This is an article from Rutgers University that discusses what can happen with an unsecure wireless hook-up and some means to secure it. There are also links to other articles about wireless security.

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs...T_SP_800-48.pdf
This one is a PDF file and is 1 MB. I haven't had a chance to read it yet as it is still downloading to my computer.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireles...ifisecurity.htm
This article discusses means to make your wireless connection or network more secure. Much is focused on the router.

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

I'd be more concerned about the other folks out there, not necessarily your nephew. My brother who is a real security whiz told me never to get wireless.

A person couldn't agree more.

If anyone that is on a so-called secured wireless network think that they are really secured, you've been lied to.

There are some not too expensive equipment that you can buy, and if you have a laptop with you, you can ride in neighborhoods, scan certain frequency channels and you WILL get access to some ones computer if they're online (if they're wireless)....

Something else even scarier for you wireless users to think about.... using the same scanning equipment, someone can open peoples' garage doors, and even tune in on their wireless video cameras, and watch whatever the camera is watching, in REAL time.

On another note, someone can use your connection, download anything they want to their computer, and if it's a DRM thing, it's very easy to frame you, because the activity came from your account. It'll be very hard to beat if the law came after you for downloading illegal content.

The burden of proof will be on you to PROVE that someone else must have done it, even if they don't find it on your computer.

It's also ashame that people have traded their security for freedom. Hard-wired is your security. Wireless is your freedom. I'm in no rush for wireless Internet. I know electronics and air waves, and frequencies, and I know I'd be putting myself at a security breach by going wireless.

Edited by Walkman, 30 December 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

IMO if your signal goes through the air and is not encryped you are free game for anybody who might misuse your system. Yes some one could tap into your hard wire if they had the wear with all and time. It would not be worth it to them to do this on a home user or small bussiness.
Encryption for home use would not be very pratical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users