Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

policy corruption

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pbull221

pbull221

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:54 AM

greetings and best wishes for the new year. My close friend's computer (aol fr. broadband with roadrunner) is currently so screwed up it can't connect to the Internet. I can not gain access to the mmc or to the registry. In safe mode only regedit will run and rt. clicking on MyComputer and picking manage is blocked even in safe mode as administrator. I am interested in helping my friend regain control over her system, getting access to the Internet and hopefully getting a close look at it with VNC after I get her back online. HKLM & HKCU Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC is where I plan to begin my study. Does anyone know a good resource for editying the ClassIDs here to free up the system once back in Protected Mode and loged in as a user with Administrator rights. Oh yes
WinXP Home SP1, a Dell.

regards,

Simon aka "WrongWay" Bullock

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pbull221

pbull221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

barking up the wrong tree?
Anyone seen IBS dialer? There is "IBS" in Add Remove Programs at 90MB, Was this system owned after a spam email double click? Still no Adminsitrator access.

Is there a fix, we are on the threshold of a GDisk with reinstall.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

My close friend's computer (aol fr. broadband with roadrunner) is currently so screwed up it can't connect to the Internet.

Malware related?
If that is a possibility, then post a HijackThis log.
We need to see it in a special forum designed to assist you.
Details provided here: How To Post a HijackThis Log

barking up the wrong tree?

Not sure, there are a lot of trees in a Windows XP home sp1 on a Dell.

If you can rule out malware related problems, then please await an answer.
I can't provide it satisfactorily.
Someone might be able to,
but it could take time. :flowers:

If you do post a Hijackthis log to pursue an answer,
it'll take time, too.
You may post it here if/when you do & then
we'll move the whole thread to where it belongs.
Fair enough? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:16 PM

You could try a repair install.

There are two types of repair on XP. When you boot with the XP disk. You will come to the first part that asks if you want to install or do a repair. This first repair is a Command Prompt type for a specific repair. AT THIS POINT! If you click on install XP instead, you will see XP load files as it get ready to install the OS. When it gets done loading files, you will again be asked to install XP or to repair your current OS. At this second repair option, click to repair and sit back. XP will go through your whole system searching and repairing parts that have been changed or need to be replaced. BUT REMEMBER!! With any repair you will need your CD KEY. And you MUST go to windows update and re-download some of the updates because the repair will remove some of them.

Edited by JSKY, 30 December 2004 - 09:18 PM.

#5 pbull221

pbull221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:02 AM

thanks. I will see about getting a copy of the log. I don't even know if she can run executables but I think her girlfriend has a burner(or a thumbdrive). If she wasn't 500 miles away I could probably sit down to it and clear up most issues in a morning. I have been having a lot of success with AdAware, Spybot, Spysweeper demo, Hyjack this, and simple registry exports with gradual reinstall of runs on a day to day basis. It is just driving me nuts that I can't get to the command line or the mmc and (even Angie observed) it is like trying to work in the dark doing this all over the phone with someone who takes great direction but has never used Explorer or Regedit enough to just do the stuff that I do unconciously these days. Even a little bit of encoragement like this is a great way to start the day, hopefull that I can get her back online before classes begin.

...where ever you go, there you are...

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users