Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat32 Or Ntfs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

I have been searching ways to speed up and optimize windows xp, and I recently saw an website indicating that converting FAT32 to NTFS will improve speed. I have check the definitions on Wiki, but I still don't get how they are different. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of them? and which one is better in terms of speed and stability. I have read the tutorials http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/ntfs-or-fat32-which-should-i-choose/, but it says that FAT32 is slightly faster, but it's better for under 32GB? I mean nowadays it's quite hard to find any hard drives under 32GB of volume. Anyone?

Edited by unloaded, 30 December 2006 - 06:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

The only reason to stay with FAT32 is if you have a dual boot system, and one of the OS's is WIndows98. Other than that reason, use NTFS. It has many more features than does FAT32. But it really is your choice as both will work just fine.

Here is more in depth info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Now, as far as being faster - I think you will not notice the difference either way. I would put money on that. Most average users would not find the difference noticable. There are probably plenty of other ways to improve performance in your computer.

General Hard Drive Performance info: http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref...perf/index.html
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

You need to talk to TheShadow" about FAT32. He can explain it much better than I can. But basically I stick to FAT because the first time I tried NTFS some important files I'd saved in Windows Me didn't restore correctly, and some old PC games I liked gave me new problems. And I like being able to grab my trusty 98 boot disk for DOS.

But it's just me on this computer, and I don't do a lot of high tech and media stuff that NTFS might be better for.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

But it's just me on this computer

That is a key. If your computer is networked at all, then go with NTFS, if not, then it is completely optional and probably won't make much difference either way.

NTFS allows more permission settings in a networked environment. Especially if you are using XP Pro.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users