Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Run A Security Scan Before Insalling Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

Howdy,

Could someone please tell me how to run a security scan on a program before installing it ?

I am sure my terminology is going to be incorrect, but this is what I have in mind.

I have seen posts where folks have told others to "download the program to your desktop and then run a security scan before installing".

What is meant by save it to your desk top ? Once there what should I do next ?

What I have been doing is clicking on run and taking the chance that the program is virus, etc... free. I would like to take the safe route. If I am not being clear please let me know and I will try to ask the question in another way.

I suppose my bottom line question is this. Does anyone have the time to walk me through the procedure ?

Thank You,
Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:38 AM

Open a list of files on your computer. Hover your cursor over any one file. Right click once. A list of options will open in a window. Depending on what security programs you have, one or more will be listed in that list. If you recognize one of your security programs, hover your cursor over the security program and left click on it. It will then scan the file and give you a report. It usually only takes seconds depending on the size of the file.
When downloading a program or file, select save and note where the file is saved. Once the download is finished you can go to the location you saved it to and perform the scan(s) as described in the first paragraph.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:48 PM

Open a list of files on your computer. Hover your cursor over any one file. Right click once. A list of options will open in a window. Depending on what security programs you have, one or more will be listed in that list. If you recognize one of your security programs, hover your cursor over the security program and left click on it. It will then scan the file and give you a report. It usually only takes seconds depending on the size of the file.
When downloading a program or file, select save and note where the file is saved. Once the download is finished you can go to the location you saved it to and perform the scan(s) as described in the first paragraph.

Thanks for the reply buddy225,

When you say select save and note where the program or file is saved, how do you determine where to save it ??

Thanks,

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Where are the install programs for the programs you have now? I use firefox. I have it set to download to "My Documents/ My Downloads".
Did you try to scan an existing file so you would know if you got the procedure down?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

What is meant by save it to your desk top ? Once there what should I do next ?

Instead of clicking on Run, click on Save to disk. You can choose where to save it. Desktop is only one choice. If you are on a different computer, save the file to a thumb drive or disk, then you can scan the file with anti-spyware and anti-virus as Buddy215 described. If you deem it safe, then install the program.

I personally have created a folder in the folder where I file all my documents. I call it "software programs" I can then subdivide it by security programs, office programs etc. If I need to reinstall the program, I don't need to download it again. I can use that file. In addition, I generally purchase a disk with the program on it (I call them back-up disks, but others call them something else) in case something goes wrong or if I ever have to set up a new hard drive. I've used these disks on more than one occasion.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

I personally have created a folder in the folder where I file all my documents. I call it "software programs" I can then subdivide it by security programs, office programs etc. If I need to reinstall the program, I don't need to download it again. I can use that file. In addition, I generally purchase a disk with the program on it (I call them back-up disks, but others call them something else) in case something goes wrong or if I ever have to set up a new hard drive. I've used these disks on more than one occasion.

Yes,that's a great system to have Orange Blossom.
I also do that and call the disks (and folders) Installers.

I do remember reading this method in a post here way back when....
It has come in handy for me upon occasion as well.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:08 AM

Where are the install programs for the programs you have now? I use firefox. I have it set to download to "My Documents/ My Downloads".
Did you try to scan an existing file so you would know if you got the procedure down?

Buddy215,

I do not even know how to get to my files. Every security program and every other type of program I have ever downloaded I have just clicked on run after it downloaded. I suppose I have been lucky so far that one of them has not been full of monsters.

If I click on Start and then click on All Programs they show up. They also may be listed somewhere else, but I have no idea where.

I thought I would practice when I download the AVG 7.5 update. Would "My Documents/ My Downloads" be a good place to store it in ?

Edited by Dennis H, 31 December 2006 - 07:05 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,192 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

Below is a link to a site that will explain in easy to learn detail how to manage files in XP.
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/arti...397045&rl=1

Yes, My Documents/ My Downloads is a good location.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:13 AM

Thanks buddy215,

I just saved that link to my favorites. At first glance it looks as if it is written in a very easy to understand format. Just what I need. The first chance I get I will read the entire tutorial.

Thanks again,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users