Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of This Sonic Update Manager?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:05 AM

Have this little window on desktop called Sonic Update Manager.
It says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD ROM that is not available.Insert the Sonic Update Manager disk and click Okay."
The cancel feature doesn't work and if I click on the red X at the top right ,nothing happens.
I couldn't even bring up Task Manager!

This all started when I tried to install a copy of Photo Album 6 from a CD I've had for a while.
For some reason it did not completely install,so I uninstalled it,via Add/Remove Programs.
At the end of the install I got a RunTime Error,Abnormal Program Termination.

When I go to Add/Remove Programs to remove Sonic Update Manager,the message I get is "Another installation is already in process.complete that installation before proceeding with this installation"

I know Sonic has some spyware/malware capabilities...don't use it for that reason.

I'm just going around in circles......
Anyone have an idea how I can remove this and get things running smoothly again?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

Was actually able to use the cancel function key and the close button,even tho they only took me to another window saying
"An installation package for the product could not be found.Try the install again,using a valid copy of the installation package UM.MSI."

So I Googled that file name and the fix in This Dell Forum worked just like they said it would! :thumbsup:
So far so good.

Would you still remove the Sonic Update Manager?
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of everything related to Sonic.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

Try this: Do a system restore choosing a time and date just prior to when you tried to install that other program. Now try to uninstall Sonic. It might help to uninstall the main Sonic program first then the update portion. I presently have three Sonic entries in my Add/Remove programs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:17 PM

System Restore was a good idea Orange Blossom.
Have not had a reoccurrence,but will remove all the Sonic entries in Add/Remove Programs in the order you suggested.
Will probably have to do it via Safe Mode.

Thanx for your reply!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 cstein77

cstein77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Try this: Do a system restore choosing a time and date just prior to when you tried to install that other program. Now try to uninstall Sonic. It might help to uninstall the main Sonic program first then the update portion. I presently have three Sonic entries in my Add/Remove programs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

How do I do a system restore and will it wipe out my whole computer? Help

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Hi cstein77 and Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

Are you wanting to remove the Sonic Update Manager from your OS?
I'd recommend that you try the other steps in this thread first before resorting to a System Restore.

Here is a good article by Micro$oft to have a look thru; Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users