Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ssid Broadcast

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Allow "Broadcast" SSID to associate? Yes or No? Can some one explain why you would even need a wireless router by selecting "No" to configure a router. When I select this option the connection to my wireless laptop is terminated. Am I missing something here? I have seen postings suggesting this option to help secure the wireless network. Thanks, Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

The SSID is the name of the Modem. Basically if it not transmitrting the name then people are not able to see it when searching for availiable networks.

If you have a unsecure network and you enable this setting you will not be able to connect to it either.
If you enable some type of security on the router then this will allow a hand shaking with the router and it will know it is there. To be able to assign the connection the SSID will need to be visible.

Mainly this feature should be used with Mac Address filtering. This will not allow any computer to connect or see the wireless SSID without the correct mac address defibned within the Modem.

This is the safest IHO setup for a home network. You can enable WEP or WPA ontop of this security. But as a MAC Address is unique to each machine this is not able to be comprimised without directly plugging in the back of the modem and adding the hackers Mac address to the table. Not very likely. I think they would try another easier route on someone elses wireless network.
The main benefit with hiding SSID is that if poeple are looking for a network to penetrate it will not even show that you have one.
Posted Image

#3 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

I was able to WEP encrypt the my network. However when I stop broadcasting the SSID to add more security to my network my client laptop does not receive the signal from the wireless router. Could someone please explain how you can toggle off the "Broadcast SSID to associate" functionality and still receive a signal from the router. Almost every site and posting I have read suggests to disable this functionality in order to provide additional security to a wireless network. Unless I am wrong and surely after many hours of attempting this configuration do not understand that if no one else can see the wireless signal then how does my wireless laptop pickup this obscure signal. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

#4 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Yes, disable SSID broadcast. However, your laptop will be able to connect to the router because 1) you've typed in the correct WEP key (should be 26 alphanumeric long) on your laptop to access the router and 2) you've entered the laptop's MAC address into the router. Sometimes one will also go into the firewall of the main computer and include the laptop's ip address as trusted. So, after all this, your laptop should have access to the internet via the router that's connected to your other computer. Plus, it'll be secure.
drymobius

#5 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

drymobius, After sveral attempts of disabling the SSID Broadcast I have found a workaround - temporary I hope. The only way my wireless card in the client laptop recognizes the wireless signal from the router is to temporarily enable SSID broadcasting. The laptop then sees the signal and connects as one would expect. At that point in the workaround I once again disable the broadcast and my network becomes secure. If reboot or force drop the connection from the client laptop I have to repeat the entire process in order to establish a secure connection. The thing that is odd is that my son's Nintendo Wii always sees the wireless signal whether or not I am broadcasting the SSID signal or not. I have only had to configured this setup once without any problems.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

#6 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

lurkynot, glad you found one solution, although it appears to be a workaround. Two other suggestions - -
1) check your router's firmware to ensure it is the most updated version (manufacturer's site)
2) check your wireless adapter's drivers to ensure most updated version (manufacturer's site)
drymobius

#7 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

Actually, for your wireless adapter's drivers, better to go to your computer manufacturer's website to get them, instead of going to the adapter manufacturer's website.
drymobius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users