Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A Second Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alanmcquillan

alanmcquillan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

Ok i have two older computers, that i want to combine into one. Im taking the hardrive from my e-machines and want to put it onto the compaq. Both of the hardrives have win XP, and i still want to use the information on both hardrives, and not loose anything on either drive. HOws the easiest way to do this. What do plug into what ide, and should it be slave master, or what the hell do i do? someone please help me.

i've heard i should do like this:

original HD Ide 1 (master)
CD-RW Ide 1 (slave)

Second new HD Ide 2 (master)
CD-ROM ide 2 (slave)

is this right?

Edited by alanmcquillan, 29 December 2006 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Firstly you may find this getting moved to the "hardware" section as it is more of a hardware issue, Just a heads up :thumbsup:

secondly, pick one drive that you wish to the master, doesnt' matter which really, I may be wrong but having two installations of XP on 2 drives should work the same way as having 2 on the same drive... you just have to pick which one to run and which one not to

After you do that, and actually get it going and everything just simply erase the other XP and copy your information over and I owuld probably suggest wiping it if you can, If you can't fit all the information on the same drive, then just remove the other XP

I think that if you have 2 xps you'll find they compete with each other moreso than anything else, even if you pick one, And also picking one everytime you start up, Is a pain in the ass

So yea, Give it anotehr post someone might say something different but that's my suggestion :flowers:

EDIT: Looks right to me

Edited by resp, 29 December 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#3 alanmcquillan

alanmcquillan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

ok i'll move over to the hardware section. Thanks for your knowledge...... and your soul.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

Just watch yoru post, it'll be moved by animal or someone :thumbsup:

#5 alanmcquillan

alanmcquillan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

:thumbsup: i know, but nobody isover at the hardware section.

#6 alanmcquillan

alanmcquillan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

If i simply have a HD with nothing on it, completely empty no OS or nada, and i just plug it it as slave and rock?

#7 alanmcquillan

alanmcquillan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

Yes, as long as the 2nd drive is already formatted (if it has stuff on it, that means it was previously formatted).
Set the first drive to Master and the 2nd to Slave.

and Basically, all you have to do is open your computer (turn it off and unplug it first), then take your first hard drive and change the jumper settings to Master. Set the 2nd drive to slave, put it in the case, and attach the cables (IDE and power). It'll be detected after you turn the computer back on.

is it true papa?

Edited by alanmcquillan, 29 December 2006 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users